UGH! My house is full of cigarette smoke and I have been sick!

We live in a house that was converted into two units. We live on the main floor and we have a neighbor downstairs. She is a single mom and does not smoke as far as I know. Tonight I kept smelling smoke. My husband walked into the bathroom and there is a haze of cigarette smoke and the smell was overwhelming. She has a guest over, there is a truck that does not belong in her driveway.
I have had pneumonia and my husband and children have a bad cold. So there is a lot of coughing going on in my house tonight. I am sensitive to cig smoke at the best of times and now that I have been sick it is HORRIBLE.

It is 12:44pm here, what would you do? Would you go knock on her door and ask her to stop her guest from smoking? Or would you just suffer through and talk to her tomorrow?

BTW, it is in our leases that there is no smoking in the house.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 2:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Health

• if your dh on't go down and talk t them at least see if there is a vent that needs covered
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 3:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Since it's the first time this has happened, I would talk to her before going to the landlord. I'm sure she dosent know it's going thru to your side or she would'nt let him do it. Best to keep peace with neighbors as much as possible.
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 8:34 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Omg YUK!!! I can't believe its getting to your side. That is definitely a landlord issue. Not that you can't bother the neighbor, but I personally wouldn't want to know the person if she's allowing smoking around her child. Of course, a better person, may actually save the child by "informing" the fool that if it affects you and your kids (it likely affects hers).

I would NOT at all hesitate to contact the landlord at midnight re: this issue. Smoking is serious. My dad mindlessly smoked in our house, and exposed us to 2nd hand smoke. I am certain I have undiagnosed adult onset asthma, which for me, is a coughing asthma I've had since 20. Tenants MUST abide by rules of the Lease, especially when rules are made for multi family dwellings and each one's "quiet enjoyment". Peace to you.
    Peyote

Answer by Peyote at 2:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• remember you do have to live next to her - I would call the landlord and complain.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 9:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• UH dnt have people smking in ur house
    carisa368

Answer by carisa368 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010