ok dont know what to do?

I babysat my friends baby he is 6 months today. Well the whole time my dd was standing next to me extremely jealous and if he tried to touch her she would try to hit hI'm. I was holding him so i moved out of the way before she could. But this just makes me nervous on what she will be like after the baby comes. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to stop hitting and to work with her on being so jealous. I have tried everything i could think of I'm not sure what to do. Thank you

kara3

Asked by kara3 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Get a few books that you can read to your daughter about having new babies in the family. I'm sure you can find quite a few, and half.com would be a good place to get cheaply priced books.
    Also, how old is she? You could possibly get her her own doll complete with bottles, diapers, and maybe some other accessories, and that way, when you feed your baby, she can feed yours, and be the "little mommy."
    And also just make sure to make time alone for her. It will be hard for everyone to readjust in the begining.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 4:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• You can't blame her though.. if she is the only one in her moms life and now comes the baby... you need to find a way to make her part of it... she's a big sister and its her baby brother or sister... there are books on how to deal with the second child thing.. but if you make her part of it and make her your helper or something.. that makes her feel like you need her help to take care of the baby or having her feel the baby kicking and saying that its her little brother or sister.. it might help.. i like the other persons idea of a doll that she could be the mommy of because she is involved and learning from you
    Anonymous

• if you have a SO have him spend time with her while your with the baby and than switch you spend time with her while he is with the baby and show her how to treat a baby with one of her baby dolls if you don't have one get one for her and say this is your baby like this is mommy's baby lets be mommy's together

Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Try to involve her in baby stuff as much as possible. My niece was 15 months when her little sister was born, and she'd just started hitting other kids. When "her baby" came along, though, she immediately wanted to hold her and is totally in love!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i had to fight my husband to get a baby doll for my first son. i won, and got a realistic doll to practice "big brother" together, my then 14 month old and i took care of "little brother" as though it were a real baby. Changing, feeding, rocking, the works. 2 months later, when my second son was born, "big brother" didn't even notice. It was already part of the routine.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 1:03 AM on Nov. 8, 2008