I need some afforadable insurance that will cover my pregnancy?

I am already pregnant, so most insurances consider it a "pre-exsisting condition". So I need a insurance that will take me and over all my medical bills and that is cheap. I'm a single parent and I only make $10k a year. I just feel like medicaid is my only option again, and it is embarassing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I was embarrassed at first when I applied for Medicaid. If it's your only option (which it sounds like it is), then go for it. I'm amazed at what a good insurance it is to have! Even if it does make me feel a little pathetic at times that I can't afford my own insurance.
    Gemska

Answer by Gemska at 1:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• You will have to go get on medicaid. Making $10K a year you will not find an insurance you can afford outside of a company plan.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• If you are a single working mother then go get medical..Well i know for California we get Medi-Cal and food stamps if single working and pregnant. That is where i would go
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 3:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Take the medicaid if you qualify. Your child is depending on you and needs mom healthy.
    MotherAndMore

Answer by MotherAndMore at 6:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I was in a similar situation with my children...no insurance and preggo.  No insurance company will take you, I tried!  So you will either need to get Medicaid or get something like AmeriPlan.  Parents Magazine included AmeriPlan as a great way to save on medical without having to pay for high priced insurance.

But for your situation, Medicaid will probably be the cheapest.

RozPearcy

Answer by RozPearcy at 9:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Sorry to tell you, but Medicaid IS your only option since you're already pregnant. NO insurance will take you already pregnant. I had to be on it with my pregnancies, and yes, it's kind of embarassing, but it's better than having your medical bills go to collections and having your name in the paper for being sued for medical bills!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I work at an insurance company as an underwriter. Basically i review applications for coverage, individual coverage (not coverage thru an employer). Being pregnant you are uninsurable, with every company. An insurance company will not take you on knowing the upcoming expenses they will have, plus the unknown expenses associated with the baby, be it a premie which may need nicu care and the expenses associated with that they would have to cover. Your ONLY option is medicaid. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Don't be embaressed to be on Medicaid. No one will know but you, and it's better than no insurance at all.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 14, 2010