How do you potty train a 3 1/2 year old who cries and has a fit at the mention of sitting on the potty?

missmissymee

Asked by missmissymee at 3:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not sure what you have tried this is what we did. We took the kids shopping for underwear and let them pick whatever they wanted. Then we shopped for stickers and again let them get what they wanted. At home we printed a calendar and hung it in the bathroom, we put the stickers in there as well. When ever they went to the bathroom they would get a sticker. After "X" amount of stickers they would get a treat. Either we would go for ice cream or I would make their favorite dinner. I think at this point there are only so many things your child can control and this is one of them. So if that doesn't work then I would back off. I would remind them that inorder to go to school they have to use the potty, things like that. I would not punish them for not using the potty or if they have an accident.

Also be consistant..maybe get a timer and when it goes off they have to try.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• At this point it sounds like a power struggle. When my ss moved in with us at 3yrs 2mos, he was not and refused to use the toilet. After emos I told him that it offended me to change him and he was now responsible for staying clean. I bought him some plain white underwear and told him if he soiled them he would have to change them, no more diapers. He put them on an peed in them 20min later. I ignored it and he eventually went and changed.WHEn he saw I wasnt concerned he took ownership of it..After a week of dryness he was rewarded with underwear of his choosing
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 5:17 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• You back off for awhile. If this has become a battle of wills...you WILL lose! Let them be ready on their own. Esp if this is a boy we are talking about. Make the potty available, keep him in big boy pants. Have him help clean himself up when he has an accident, but never scold or punish. If you google potty training there is tons of helpful ideas out there. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We had to give my daughter a goal. So her's was that if she didn't go on the potty, then they would not let her into preschool. This was what she really wanted, so you'll have to see what your ds is really into! Find his motivation. I also think that the ideas above are effective if that is what your case might be. Good luck!
    JesF419

Answer by JesF419 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I wouldnt try. I would let it go until they were ready.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We let our son decided. When he did, he potty trained himself. He was 3 years and 2 months. No struggle, no crying, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• i would just stop buying pull ups. put him in underwear. and make him clean up his own mess.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010