Group B Strep?

I got a phone call last night from my midwife to let me know that I had tested Group B Strep positive and that I'm "colonized". She told me that they'll treat me during labor with antibiotics. Have any of you had this, and was it a problem? I'm 21 weeks.

Gemska

Asked by Gemska at 7:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did not even have the test done, my doctor said I was too young for it. But I heard that it is normal, they just give you the meds and you give birth.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 4:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I had it with my second son. It is very common and no worries. They will give you antibiotics and the baby will be just fine :
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 7:30 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• yup. i had it and like the other poster said. they just give you antibiotics during labor.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:42 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• That's a relief! I started reading up on it and saw that it can cause still-birth and all sorts of stuff so I was starting to get really worried. Thanks, ladies.
    Gemska

Comment by Gemska (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes, I had it too. They gave me antibiotics when I went into labor. When my daughter was born they gave her antibiotics too because they were unsure if she had it, but they wanted to be on the safe side. I had no issues with it.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Wow they never tested me that early. My tests were always done at 35 weeks or after. I had one premature and they gave me antibiotics just to be safe since my test wasn't back yet. Good luck.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 12:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• So long as you are on antibiotics during birth, you'll be OK. The virus poses no risk to you or the baby until birth.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Did she tell you about the risks with the antibiotics and your alternatives?

I encourage you to consider treating yourself naturally now/in the last few weeks so you don't have to add unnecessary risks.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2010