My 12 week old grandson is absolutely terrified of people including me, he lets out a scream and his body goes rigid if anyone other than his parents speak to him. The first time was during a game of peekaboo with his mum and dad four weeks ago, now it seems everyone scares him except them!

Can anyone help please, not really getting the chance to babysit etc.

GrannieIrvine

Asked by GrannieIrvine at 7:42 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried sitting right next to mom/dad and touching his hands and talking with him. Then he can see you are an ok person to go to, since mom/dad are ok with you. I think they can start being scared of others around 12 weeks, but I can't remember. Do mom/dad come and get him right away when he is crying, or let you try to comfort him? Maybe if you had him for an hour on your own and he was able to see it will be fine that would make a difference?? It may just be a phase too. Good luck!
    Annastacialynn

Answer by Annastacialynn at 8:00 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Why would anyone play peekaboo with an eight week old baby? Geez, did they really think he would react positively? Does he do it with the tv on and listening to voices on the tv? If not, then they may want to have background voices or SOOTHING singing in the background. I would tell the doctor. Let's hope they haven't traumatized the child
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have a 16 week old baby; I would say just keep going over and interacting with him while one or both of his parents are there with HIS toys and then slowly he should be better. P.S. people played pick a boo with me baby ever since she came out and she never had a problem.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Try just talking, or singing to him softly when one of his parents are holding him. Try rubbing his little hands while you do it. He should eventually get used to you.
    frstimemom2010

Answer by frstimemom2010 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My daughter is 16 months old and she doesn't let anyone but me and my husband hold her for longer than about 5 minutes. She will let people talk/play with her at a distance. I left her with my MIL when she was around 14 months old and once I'm gone, she's fine. It's just while I'm there.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010