My daughter is 11 months and always has to touch/play with my hair in order to fall asleep. It's getting really irritating now. Any suggestions?

tarajones11

Asked by tarajones11 at 7:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get her a doll with long hair and see if that helps
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I agree a doll might work. If not you might have to try nd let her cry a little. I could sit with her and maybe read a book. The tell her it is time for bed and put her in her crib and walk out. Let her cry for a few minutes and if she doesn't stop then go back in and give her another hug. Don't take her out of the crub, tell it is okay, and that it is time to go to sleep.

It is going to be hard and it might take a few nights, although it should work. I know it took my son like 3 nights before he didn't cry.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My son used to do this while nursing and it drove me nuts so I bought cheap hair extension things at Wal-mart and would pull my hair back and drape that over my shoulder while we nursed and it kept him happy. Maybe try something like that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Thanks Ladies! She will go to sleep initially on her own at night, and if she gets up, we usually let her cry it out, while going in
    to give her the hugs and pats on the back until she falls back asleep. She seems to twist my hair whenever I am holding her, or
    rocking her, or laying in bed with her. It's like her security blanket. I have tried the doll thing, but that didn't work. I still even swaddle
    her at times so her arms are down, but obviously, she hates that. I will have to just let her cry when I don't allow it, and hopefully she will catch on. UGH!
    tarajones11

Comment by tarajones11 (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• my son does the same thing and just to let you know my hubby used to do it when he was a baby and now still does it to me when he goes to bed every night, so i know how annoying it can be
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 10:02 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Doctors say don't swaddle a child that old. Crying it out is barbaric. You don't want her soothing herself with knowing her mom is there and it's safe to fall asleep? Why did you even have a child?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My youngest does it too - I'm trying to transition her to a silkie blanket by moving her hand to it every time I feel her reaching for my hair, but she's a lot younger than yours. Sorry I don't have any bright ideas, good luck!

Answer by missanc at 12:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• DD is the same way. It doesn't bother me anymore. I kind of like it because she fights sleep SOOO hard. So when she gets a handfull of hair and puts it in her face it makes her close her eyes. Since it 's been cold I have been wearing a lot of hoodies and when she can't get ahold of my hair she uses the strings on the hoodies. She's also started trying to grab her own hair.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I dont think it's irritating. My son grabs my hair all the time. When he would eat he would stick his little hand in my armpit and wiggle his fingers. I loved it even though it tickled! Now when he eats he holds his arm straight up. It's hilarious!
    frstimemom2010

Answer by frstimemom2010 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• its a self soothing thing dont make her stop just cause you hate it .gosh.. that's a dumb reason 4 breaking a perfectly safe habit.
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2010