How to deal with my child having Mental issues?

About 4 months ago my oldest daughter started showing signs of abnormal behavior,, I didnt understand where this was coming from so I dealt with it day by day. But day by day it got worse. Up and down moods, uncontrollable tantrums, in a way harming herself. Well finally i took her to her Dr, and her dr said that what she was going through was beyond her expertise, so I have a appt with a mental dr for her. The hard part for me is to come to terms that my child has mental issues. I try so hard every day to do the best i can for her. I feel that I did something wrong to make her like this... But I take it day by day and and hope that this dr will help her. How do I get over the guilt ,,, ?

uticagirl293

Asked by uticagirl293 at 8:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• TYFRY7496 thats kinda harsh she is asking a question and if u dont have a disabilied child u cant say much .... as for the question i have a daughter who has no diagnosis to this day so everyday at the beginning was a struggle tears of pain tryn to figure out what i did wrong why me but even dr were saying she was only going to live 4months my baby is going on 4 and although cant do much she is our angel and we love her for being here an if u ever need to talk pls feel free to message me although we dont have the same diagnosis we have the same feeling i praise u for being worried if u werent than it would be wrong and as for the previous comment some ppl cant walk 2 feet in ur shoes so u cant get mad for her ridiculous comment keep your head up and ur heart around u baby :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 4:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Stop talking about her like she is a monster. She isn't going to a mental doctor, she is going to a counselor. Treat her like there is nothing wrong with her. It is hard enough having a mental illness but then add on a parent who is acting like it's the end of the world. You don't even know what, if anything, is wrong. IF something is wrong, then you deal with it at that time. FOLLOW what the counselor says, treatment, meds,etc. Go to counseling yourself to learn how to deal with YOUR emotions. IF you find out a diagnosis, research it and find out all you can about it. ASK the counselor questions. STOP feeling guilty because some disorders can't be helped, are environmental and have NOTHING to do with you, as a parent. Give her the LOVE AND SUPPORT she DESERVES.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Well considering you don't even know IF it is mental problems yet I say quit beating your self up about this until you find out what it truly is. Personally I would be concentrating my energy in figuring out what the problem is and how to solve it instead of beating myself up over something that I don't even know what she has let alone can pin point how and when she got it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:21 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Your question is a very hard one to answer. There are some traumas in life that result in symptoms which appear to be "mental." I don't know if your child has experienced anything like that or not. Having dealt with some of the "mental" doctors, I know that there is a huge difference in how they approach these matters, and to be honest, I don't trust them a whole lot. Too many of them look at the symptomatic behaviors and never look into the root of the matter and thus never give the help that is needed. Were I you, I would pay close attention to what this dr. says and then I would get second and third opinions before putting my child on medication, which will very likely be prescribed. That may be necessary to control the symptoms, especially if they are severe, but I would still keep looking for the root cause of her problems. It could even be something that she has not told you about.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I had issues but it turns out I have aspergers syndrome I would have melt downs and now we know. I would just try to be as normal as possible and do not feel it is your fault we can tell you this but until you believe it, it will not matter also I would find someone for you to talk to it helps when you have someone to ask questions to as well and talk to about how you feel.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• You don`t even know if that is what it is! You do your best and sometimes things happen for a reason. Wait and see what the specialist has to say and go from there..
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:57 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• LISTEN FOR YOUR INFORMATION I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT... I AM NOT TREATING HER LIKE A MONSTER,, AND I AM DOING EVERYTHING IN POWER TO GET HER WHERE SHE NEEDS TO FEEL BETTER. ALSO I GO TO COUNSELING. WHERE DO YOU COME OFF ACTING LIKE YOU ARE BETTER AND YOU KNOW WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH... YOU SOUND LIKE NOTHING BUT A MORON,, WHO DOESNT KNOW ANY BETTER.
    uticagirl293

Comment by uticagirl293 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2010