1st time having a c-section, any advice, tips, hints, encouragement, etc?

What would you tell a 1st timer?

momoflilangel

Asked by momoflilangel at 8:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Health

• Not to have major abdominal surgery if at all possible. Other then that I would say keep in mind that it is major surgery and you will need to follow the doctor's orders after wards especially when it comes to vacuuming etc. Your recovery will be faster if you truly take it easy after ward.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:19 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Don't be scared. I had already had 2 kids naturally when I had my c-section. I was terrified ! It was last minute cause she was breech and they could'nt turn her. But afterwards I was wishing I had had it done every time. lol Recovery is not that bad either. Just gives you more time to enjoy your little bundle ! Good luck and congrats !!!
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 8:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• You will not be doing house work any time soon.
    Have someone help you at home.
    Don't laugh .

Answer by louise2 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• This isn't something that is generic, each body is made different, and reacts different to anesthesia, mine was fine.
    Another moms may be horrible. Just have some realistic views of your body when it's going to have abdominal pain and have some family help or home health readily set up . Get things in the home ready, like I used to stroll my children through the house instead of carrying a baby carrier. Room to room gets very burdensome without little wheels like a stroller to help. Have your cell phone packed with emergency contact number / friends , and family that can be called in a moment's notice. Have meals prepared or ordered for yourself. Make ahead some thing to eat/ hot items for microwave / easy / less work. Get a chair to feed in that's not hard on your lower back and shoulders, and a boppy pillow or a firm banana shaped pillow. Keep some jarred food around for when the baby is ready to move on to food
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Get the beds made ahead and have a good mattress for your back.
    Invest in an eggcrate mattress topper.
    get lots of pillows ready, for knees, head, and one to hug at night for forming to your laying side position.
    Keep the vitamins ready, but juices and veggies are best.
    Eat smaller more frequent meals, then gradually get bigger as time passes
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Make plans for some help the first few days at home, you need the time to re cup. The recovery is the suck part, but everything heals with some time, it is not all that bad, but if I had a choice I would go for natural everytime!

Answer by older at 8:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I had an emergency C-section so I was freaked out and unprepared but all in all it wasnt that bad. Sure I was in pain, and the inscision freaked me out lol, but asides from that I was fine, I never even took the percocet or vicodin or whatever pain they tried to give me, my pain was controlled fine with the ibuprofen. I took it easy and everyone did everything for me lol which was nice.

The only issues I had with my c-section was, getting in an out of my SUV was hell! As we were leaving the hospital I wasnt thinking about going home I was thinking how the hell am I going to get in the car lol. And then of course we had to go to the pediatrician like the next day so more in and out. Getting in and out of bed was hell too, and also getting up from the toliet, and no bending down or over. But eventually you can do all these things again easily, It took me longer to recover because I was scared of my incision.
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• As painful as it is, try to get up and walk the day after (if they let you). My hospital let me get up and walk and it made me feel so much better.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 9:18 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have only ever had a c-section (only 1) so I don't know who it compares but you are gonna need help. Always take your pain pills on time (don't wait for it to hurt cause if you do, by the time that it kicks in, the pain will be unbearable) People will prob bring you meals but have some things on hand that you can just throw in the oven. Oh and you are gonna gain a LOT of water weight for a couple days. Even your hands and face will look fat but don't worry, it will go away quickly
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• They will have you up and walking within hours of having this surgery- Pushing your Iv pole and carrying your catheter collection bag as a purse. I think some hospitals use binders (hold everything in), mine did not. I really had zero issues post op with either of my C/S's-You have to get up and move-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010