DOES ANYBODY HAVE A CHILD IN FOSTERCARE BUT YOUR STILL INVOLVED IN YOUR CHILDS LIFE?

mommalovesfour

Asked by mommalovesfour at 8:42 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Adoption

• My first child was in the foster care placed at my sisters house and i gave my parental rights up with the agreement that my sister and BIL would adopt him. I didn't speak to them for 5 LONG years. Last Christmas I went to my parents house for x-mas and they brought my son that is now 7 and there 3 other children over and I had my DD there and it was a x-mas that i will never ever forgetI have made mistakes in my life and lost everything and everyone that meant anything to me. I came out of my nightmare and got my life together meant my hubby and we had my DD and I have a normal(whatever normal is)life today . My family means the world to me. My DD & Hubby are my everything. Going though what i went though with my first child made me become a better parent to my DD. Today i see them as often as i would like. I am his Aunt he knows that he grow in my belly. I believe in being nothing but honest to your children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I did. In foster care most cases are for reunivication not adoption,t hough in our case adoption was the concurrent plan. So by having you continue through visitation it allows your child to maintain some connection to you so that when they get to come home its not a total shock and so they still feel attatched to you and secure with you. It is possible that if CPS decide to go for adoption they'll then terminate your rights and you'll stop being involved but I don't know where your case is.
    My daughter was removed at 10 months old, we got to see her four hours a week. As the case progressed she got to come home for visits vs. supervised, then day visits, weekend visits and FINALLY just before her second birthday she came home for good! We almost had our case closed when I got pregnant with my son and we're finally looking at getting that closed too.
    If you need someone to talk to, PM me.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 12:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We are foster parents and the mother of the 9 month old in our care is active in visits, and we will take the baby to visit her on Christmas Day. I can say that our ultimate hope is to allow the mother to visit the child in our home and help her build the broken areas up so the baby WILL go back home and there will be less chance for a removal again in the future.

To the previous responder - NO it doesn't defeat the purpose - many times allowing involvement (depending upon circumstances, etc) can make reunification a much more likely success than it otherwise might have been. Of course, it can't always happen but it is ideal. :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 5:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I was a foster parent for over two years and almost all of the kids in my home had a relationship with their parents, they would see them for day, evening, overnight or weekend visits. The goal of foster care is reunification, if possible. We were friends with a family that had adopted 3 children by the same mother and she still visited the oldest child and bought her gifts. They were not really close, but they still had kind of a parent-child relationship. It can be in the best interest of the child, in some cases.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Wow it is great to hear such positive stories.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It is becoming more common especially if it is likely that you get the child back.
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 9:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2011