Ok my husband is thinking about taking a job that will have us moving all around the state, and we have a 1 year old baby boy is it good for him to be moving so much?

we live in South Dakota, and the first place we would go is CA for one yeah than come back to SD for awhile that some where else for a year and so on. What to do? But on the up side he will be making 27 to 42 dallors and hour.

katkashka

Asked by katkashka at 8:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I moved a lot as a kid and I turned out just fine. It will be more difficult on your child when he is in school, making new friends and being the "new kid" every year.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 8:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Why do you think it would be hard on a one-year-old? Certainly better to be in a home where dad has a good job. Sounds like this will be a good opportunity for your family. It is hard to think about moving, but just think of it as an adventure. You'll be able to live in different places, and have new experiences. It will be much easier to move now, rather than if your son was school age. My son has had to move several times, and my grandaughter, now 10, has had no problems with it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:57 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It is not ideal. But he will have his main family with him and that will establish his stability. I would say that now is the time rather than when he is older and his world has expanded. This sounds similar to what military families do. In todays economy, you need to go where the job is and do what is necessary. You should definitely save as much as possible so that in the future you may have to take a cut in order to stay in one location.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:57 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I was an army brat. It didn't even phase me until I was old enough to be in school. Actually if the kid is gonna move around alot, now is the perfect time, they really have no roots yet.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:58 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• well i have moved the 32 different states sence i was a baby tell now because my dad always wanted to move he didnt like to stay in one place to long i went to 4 different schools just in my freshman year of high school so it dont bother me much i just dont know about my son
    katkashka

Comment by katkashka (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Kids that young adapt well, the problem comes when they are older and you have to uproot friends, etc...

Answer by older at 9:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Kids adapt easier to change than adults do. I was a military kid and moved all over, I enjoyed it. If this is a good thing for your family financially I'd do it, your son will be fine.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• yeah i know how that fills
    katkashka

Comment by katkashka (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Just make sure your sons stable. My mil moved dh and his family all around everytime she met a new guy on the internet it was hard on them, but only b/c they missed their friends. (DH was in high school when it started). I think a year old should be fine. If it's a good opportunity for your husband then you make it work.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes ma'am. A job is a job. Someone needs to be working and someone needs to be bringing in money. If it takes uprooting, moving and traveling.. so be it. There are plenty of kids that have been raised this way, military being one. It's not uncommon these days for OTR truck drivers to travel with their families these days. Go for it!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2010