What to do if a person you've helped get a job, wants your position & is willing to kill you for it?

I helped a guy get a job. Since he's been hired, he's totally changed. I've overheard that he has said some things that he's more competent than I am. And he's been doing all that he can to smooze with my boss. He's been in my desk while I was gone (he said that he had my permission to my coworkers), and have noticed that he's been doing my projects. I got word from my boss when I returned to finish my project to find out that he's been doing the exact same project. (I have metal file cabinets that don't have a lock, nor can I install locks on my cabinets.)

What do you do with a backstabber like this?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 9:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• confront him and tell you co workers he isnt to be around your desk....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:22 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• What an ungratefu person, I would tell my boss what he is trying to do.

Answer by older at 9:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I would definitly confront him and make sure everyone knows you dont want him near your files or desk.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 9:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'd tell everyone that under no circumstances is he allowed near your desk. I would also confront him. I'm sorry he turned out to be such a backstabber. I guess some people just aren't worth helping.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Ask for a meeting with your boss, the backstabber, and a mediator -- every employer must provide time for you to discuss issues. I would have all my "ducks" in a row, presnet your case, but also allow a little room for them to "save face" so to speak. Sort of like a hanging nuse...
    Once your boss is "aware" of the situation and how WELL you handled it, you will come out on top and even if he keeps it up, you have laid the ground work for more actions with your HR department.
    Never let the back stabber have the upper hand and never stoop to their level.
    joamom92

Answer by joamom92 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• File an official report with your HR manager.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Talk to your boss, record everything down on a log of day to day stuff of whats being said & done. Also make sure you write down what you tell your boos & the date. Express your feelings, your stress. i am sure your company doesn't want you taking stress leave or do they hmmm? guess it depends on whats done. GL. i feel for you office backstabbers gotta love them especially coming from a so called friend. I'd give him a piece of your mind away from the office let him have it. Don't back down & GL I know this sucks.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I agree with every one else have a discussion.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I would make it known that no one should be in your space, that your files are not to be gone through. Really, there is nothing you can do but wait for him to hang himself. People like this always end getting found out and everyone will see what kind of person he is. Don't do a lot of talking and complaining about him, that will only make you look bad. Your boss will see (if not already) what kind of person he truly is. Hang in there.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Get proof. Make a list of false projects to see if he does those as well. Or do you think that would backfire? Tell your coworkers that no matter what he tells them, he does NOT have permission to go into your desk at all whatsoever. Good luck.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2010