What If You Really Aren't Pretty?

I know, we're all supposed to be "beautiful". But what if nobody has ever, and I mean ever, told you were pretty? What if you had both direct (someone told you to your face) and indirect (people said behind your back) evidence that you aren't pretty?

Wouldn't you wonder why people felt that way about you?
Wouldn't you try to figure out what was wrong with you so you could work on it?
What if you actually asked one of the people who told you to your face that you aren't pretty why they felt that way and couldn't get a straight answer?

What would you do then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I would try to enhance everything about me, and focus on the one good thing about me, whether is physical or personality wise. We all have something good about us......

Answer by older at 10:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• People tell me I am pretty all the time (always have)...but I still don't think I measure up to how they see me. Why is that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'm a firm believer that beauty starts from the inside. Confidence is more attractive than any physical trait - and I have male friends that would tell you the same thing. If you feel like you want to do something to enhance your appearance, go to a department store (Macy's or Dillard's) and get a make-over. Go to a reputable salon and tell them to do whatever they think would look great on you. These things will help you on the inside (confidence!) as much as they will on the outside.

I don't know anyone that would tell a friend that they aren't pretty. My friends are all beautiful, and I mean that sincerely. Don't worry about what other people say, believe in yourself.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Beauty isnt going to decide whether you're a good person or not. I know its easier said than done but try not to care about what "other" people think.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 10:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I've heard both about myself. I didn't try to figure out what was wrong with me so I could be pretty in the eyes of the person who was negative about my looks because I didn't see the point. I think there are varying standards of what is pretty. Everyone is different and has different tastes. It bothered me when I was younger if someone thought I was not pretty but now that I'm older, it just does not bother me. I'm comfortable in my own skin and think I look pretty good especially when I think of all the things I've been through, having had two kids and being in my mid-30's. I think that is the key. To love yourself and not worry about what others think.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Listen, everyone is diffrent... there has to be something about you that you feel good about... My friend told me she feels like "Precious" I don't know if you ever saw that movie but she said that is her life. I don't know how it feels but I know she has a beautiful shape, she does her hair beautiful and has nice eyes. She does not look like everyone else I would not say she is ugly she is just diffrent.

If you don't feel beautiful there is make up that can inhance your beatiful focal points, your eyes, your lips there has to be something you feel good about, your clothes, You must take focus on that and inhance it.... What about your hair??? Hunny if you watch make overs, you can make your self to be who you want to be, I don't mean change your life just inhance the beauty points....

Don't ever let anyone bring you down, and you don't start bringing your self down.... Good luck!!!! I am here for you.... :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you feel you're not pretty enough, then find colors, styles, a haircut, make-up colors etc. that flatter you - things that help you to feel that you're improving on what you have.

But if you're always feeling as if you fall short, that's low self esteem. If you don't feel that you measure up despite what others say, you don't have feelings of being "enough". Focus on things you're good at, focus on activities that help you feel competent, wear colors that make you feel good, and work on being more comfortable in your own skin.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 10:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Everybody sees things differently. I do not think I am pretty and I do not think any one has told me I am ugly or pretty to my face or behind my back. I really do not care if they did. Most people who do that stuff are superficial.

Answer by louise2 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'm very, very vain and although I know "it's what's inside that counts"...blah...blah...blah...what's inside is not what makes the first impression. If I didn't have the presence that I do, I would be talking to a plastic surgeon ASAP to fix whatever it is that is wrong. I'm not saying that's what you should do...by no means, I'm saying that's what I would do.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:16 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Fixing whatever is wrong happens on the inside, not the outside. Sure, you can take steps to present yourself as best you can - but you can attempt to fix and fix the outside and if the inside isn't right, it won't do any good at all.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2010