Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How can I help, and keep my temper in check?

DH works with a fool, who is married to a bigger fool. Mr. and Mrs. Fool have 4 kids under the age of 10. Mrs. Fool has back pain, so found a Shady Dr. who for an office call of $180 will see her, and write her an Rx for high doses of Percocet. At first she would take some and sell the rest. Then she became hooked. They had their gas shut off, and Mr. Fool took several showers at our house after work due to no hot water at home. Mr. Fool also borrowed $200 from DH to pay gas bill ( never paid spent on Dr. Shady for more pills) Since then we do not lend them money. He text DH last week asking for 80 bucks, we said no. Mrs. Fool has rolled the mini van at 11:00 p.m. buying or selling drugs. So Mr. Fool has been driving one of the company insurance I would imagine. The Fools have been evicted and now rent a 2 bed apt. Last night DH told me that the Fools are not having Christmas until Feb when they can get a loan from tax return. Now, how do you tell your kids there is no Christmas until Feb? I want to help, but they are such a mess I can't give them money, and we really don't have enough to buy all of their kids presents. I feel like Mr. Fool is an idiot going off to work, leaving kids home with mom who gets high and I mean stupid high on pills. I hate the thought of CPS, but this story gets worse every day and is really weighing on me. I HATE feeling judgemental, and I don't want to appear do I help? What do I do? Or, do I do nothing at all?

Answer Question

Asked by salexander at 10:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 26 (28,366 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • I understand not feeling comfortable with calling CPS. However, if something happens to those kids you'll feel even worse. I implore you .. put the kids safety and needs over your feeling of being comfortable. You don't have to leave your name.

    Answer by bseastrand at 10:48 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • I feel so bad for those kids. They don't deserve that. I hope things get better. I don't know what to tell you.

    Answer by Snewo at 10:48 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Could you get the kids little presents (that can't be returned!!) Or, maybe a cookie tray and Christmas dinner? It really does sound like CPS needs to be involved, how very sad.

    Answer by Scuba at 10:48 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Those children don't need to have a mother hooked on pills. The best thing to do in this case is to call CPS. Maybe then they will realise she does have a problem with pills and will hopefully get better.

    Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • i wouldn't call cps unless i had evidence to back up my claim. how are you going to prove that she's abusing the drug?

    as far as the children, i might go to the dollar store and buy each one something. young children don't care where their gift came from, they enjoy having something to open. i like the idea suggested by another poster about Christmas dinner, too.

    i would not lend them money anymore.

    Answer by tnm786 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • You may feel bad about calling CPS, but children do not need to be raised in those conditions. They should not have a mother that is constantly high and a father that is buying and selling to support mom's habit - the next step will be pimping out mom to support the habit if it isn't already happening.
    Having watched this happen with my husband's family - this is NOT an environment for children! Get them out of there. CPS WILL try and find family members that can care for the children.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • As above poster said, how do I prove she is abusing this drug. I have even been told she has been crushing up the pills and snorting them. These kids deserve better, but if I call, it is all just hear-say. I guess if at least I report it, they can maybe catch her high at home or something.

    Comment by salexander (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • I dont blame you for not wanting to give them money. Money is tight for everyone, and when you loan people money, not only do you expect to be paid back, but also to know that they are spending it on what is important. As far as the kids, that sucks and is a tough situation. Are they the type of kids who expect expensive Christmas presents, or would they be happy with toys from Dollar General and such? And You should Definatly NOT feel bad about not loaning them money....its COMPLETLY understandable.

    Answer by MissyD87 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • If the mother is truly addicted to drugs, the best christmas present you could give those children is a safe and stable environment. Someone needs to put the welfare of those poor kids first. I would call cps before something truly tragic happens.

    Answer by hootie826 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.