How do i explain to my children that we won't be having Christmas at Mimi's house this year?

The day after Thanksgiving we found out that my sil has cancer and will be in the hospital through christmas. we will be having our christmas morning with our children at our home , but not sure that they wwill understand why mimi and their aunt will not be here. we r a very close family and it is so hard to put on a happy face for our children when we r so worried and hurting on the inside. I know that people have had to endure much worse around the holidays , i just want to keep it special for my children. they r 4 and 10.

hollieshobbie

Asked by hollieshobbie at 10:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Holidays

• I'd just say aunt is sick and when she's feeling better she'll come around.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Honestly. You simply tell them that she's ill, so you won't be visiting for Christmas. You should never try to hide the truth from children, it's far more important to teach them how to deal with life's realities in a healthy way.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Tell them most of the truth. Tell she is sick and needs time to rest without all the noise. Maybe have them help you plan a day to go visit her either before or after.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'd let them know that she is sick and can't attend Christmas but that she is with you in spirit. Be as honest as you can with them, and try to enjoy the holiday. I'm so sorry.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Tell them the truth.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:56 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• They need to know what is going on and why. Be honest with them, especially your 10 year old.
    Set out photos of Mimi and Aunt and light a candle of remembrance on Christmas morning so that they are still there with you even if it isn't physically.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:57 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Tell them the truth. My mom always tried to sugar coat everything for me when I was growing up and she left me in the dark on a lot too and I always hated that. It's ok if they are sad, but then you remind them of all the good things they have and you try your hardest to make the best of the day. I'm so sorry for your situation btw.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Will you be going to the hospital to share some of the holiday spirit with them?

I would.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• yes i do believe that after we have our christmas morning at home, we will make a trip to st. louis to be with her.
    hollieshobbie

Comment by hollieshobbie (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I would tell the children the truth...the 10 yr old will understand more so than the 4 yr old ... it is not good to
    lie or sugar coat something like this with a child... we did not do this with our then 7 yr old when Dh was
    re diagnosed with Cancer and had to spend time in the hospital...
    If at all possible make a trip to see your SIL while on Holiday break...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:39 AM on Dec. 14, 2010