Is it to early to CIO?

ok so my daughter is 9 months and whenever i put her down she crys, normally i love holding her but sometimes i need to get stuff done. Is it to early to let her CIO? I'm new to this whole thing and i have no idea what to do. HELP

ps: please no bashing

clarasmommy08

Asked by clarasmommy08 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't even know what that means . . .
    cfsweets

Answer by cfsweets at 5:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My little boy was about 9 months old when I did the CIO method with him. It worked fantastic. About 15 minutes before naptime or bedtime hold her and read her a story and then lay her down. Let her cry for about 10 min and go back in there give her her paci (if she has one) lay her back down. Let her cry for about 8 minutes and then go back in there. Never take them out of the crib. Simply tell them you love them and lay her back down. It will be hard the first few times but it is worth it in the end. My little boy only cried for 2 nights and then got the hang of it and knew we were still there! Good Luck. Message me if you have any questions!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 5:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I don't think it's too early. It will be tough at first, but she will get used to it and begin to entertain herself. Give it a try if you are comfortable with it. Good luck!
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 5:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• CIO - Cry it out
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 5:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Keep in mind that right about this age, some babies go through growth spurts and a mothers touch is all they need. Also, could she be teething? Growth spurt plus teething can be an awful combination on some babies. Hang in their, with time you will see that 'getting stuff done' can be over rated! =o)
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• No, you should not do CIO! However that does not mean you can not set her down and let her cry for a little while if you are overwhelmed. Babis need lots of physical affection. Maybe you could try getting a sling or letting someone else watch her for a little while.
    Anonymous

• i don't think it is too young. it is so hard to do it! it works for amereyn at bedtime (although she doesn't stay asleep all night for some reason....) but it does not work at nap time for us, she'll just cry and cry and not take a nap.
    rinoasmommy2005

Answer by rinoasmommy2005 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My son is 11 months old and I did CIO. It works. For people that think you just let your kid cry - no it does not work that way. You go in every five minutes, pat their backs, reassure them - then keep staying away longer and longer. My son cries about 3 minutes every night before falling peacefully asleep.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 9:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Isn't it around 9 months where babies start going through a separation anxiety stage? If there is a way to put your baby where she can see you while you work on housework etc. and reassure her with words, like Mommy's right here. Mommy will be right back, Mommy has to go potty. Etc. My daughter is 21 months old and rarely cried if I left the room. Until the stages where there is growth spurts and separation anxiety. I always tell her I'll be right back, since she was a new born. I also have a projector style music box for her, like fischer price or whatever it is. I put the music on a timer and leave the room, rarely would she cry more then the 15 minutes on the timer. Hope these ideas help.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I let my 5 month olds cry it out for the first time...it didn't last long. Now at 7 months they know when the lights go out they go to sleep.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 1:04 AM on Nov. 8, 2008