Is a nine year old boy too young to have his own pc?

He's careful with ours but has broke one of the keys. I will be home schooling him the rest of this year at least. He wants his own pc and I thought it might be really handy with his school work. However, there sooo expensive and he would't be getting much of anything else for Christrmas. That is if I can find a cheap one for around $300.00 or so.What are your thoughts ? Maybe a notebook ? TIA

megamamaw

Asked by megamamaw at 10:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I agree with getting an inexpensive notebook for him with limited and monitored internet access. Make sure that he is only using it at times when you are monitoring him. Make sure he understands the dangers of the internet and be sure to take it back and put away when he is done doing his homework or is not being monitored. If you are homeschooling he may need internet access for some of the assignments you give him. Best of luck to you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• If it does not go online, I think it should be fine. If it goes on the internet, then he's too young.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• As long as you put it away when the school work is done

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I know many kids that age have them. He would probably be fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think it's fine. I bought my emachine for $250 a while back at Office Depot and my grandson bought one at Walmart recently for $298

Answer by admckenzie at 10:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think it's fine. I would install "Net Nanny" or something similar to make sure he isn't getting onto sites that you don't want him on though. (My DS was 10 and researching the White House - you would not believe the porn sites Google returned!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Awesome idea:)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• 10 years ago I'd say yes, but in today's world, no, esp if you're keeping him monitored.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Get him a laptop and monitor his time on the internet. Parental blockers, talking to your child about what is not ok to say or do and when to come to you about what someone else says to him also helps. He may need the internet to do homework.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• hes old enough for a computer however i would suggest placing it in a public place like a living room where u can walk by and see what hes doing on it at anytime and do random checks on his browsing history
    alwayslost93

Answer by alwayslost93 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2010