How do I get my 2 year old to stop taking the lid off of his sippy?

I am so tired of juice messes, he just wants to take the lid off and dump whatevers in the cup out all over the floor. I limit the drinking to the kitchen area, but seriously I can't stand behind him with a mop all day, I'll kill myself! What should I do?? Duct tape the lid on?

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 5:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put a little water in it until he gets past this pouring stage. Maybe only let him have juice when you are going to be right there with him.
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 5:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Tape sounds good but will be a pain when you wash it. Like supermom said, give it to him when you're right there with him. I'm sure if you Google it you'll find some kind of childproof cup! GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Also, punish him for it. He needs to learn that its not ok. Take it away when he does it and put him in time out. It may help
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think there's a problem too because he has a 6 year old sister and she doesn't drink from a sippy. I think he wants to be like her.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Yea, thats prob why. But he has to learn that his time will come. Maybe you can have your dd drink in the kitchen also to set an example. Your better off that way anyway considering even adults can spill! LOl
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Haha, I know! She pretty much does drink in the kitchen too, I guess I'm complaining too much. It could have been spills on carpet right! In fact, the first spill in our new house was mine, by leaving a coffee cup on the carpet, getting up, and kicking the damn thing over!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Its a good habit to get your kids in. It also teaches them to respect other ppl'l houses when they are visiting. To this day, at 24, I still eat and drink in someone else's kitchen unless they say its ok to do otherwise :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• LOL The first spill on my then new carpet was me too!! hahah Now we have laminate so its a little easier! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Its good to keep food and drinks in the kitchen at any age! hahhaah
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• So true!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2008