Exposing your children to other faiths

I was just wondering how other moms felt about exposing their children to faiths other than your own. We really want our son to feel free to explore any faith he would like. I just wanted to see how other mom's felt about this?

TrevorsMommy03

Asked by TrevorsMommy03 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I will answer my children's questions about anything (including religion) to the best of my ability. I'm in no way trying to shelter my kids. I feel it is my responsibility to raise them according to our beliefs, but that doesn't mean to pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I agree! People should want their kids to make their own descision about what's best for them, as long as someone is there to guide them and answer their questions, I think that's a great idea!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 5:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I'm not going to raise them teaching them of other beliefs however should they come to me with questions regarding other beliefs I will do my best to answer their questions and direct them to where they can find accurate information regarding the belief in question.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I'm a Unitarian Universalist... we embrace all beliefs and our Sunday School classes often expose our children to a variety of beliefs.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Every opportunity we get we expose our kids to all religions. I do make sure not to impose my own personal convictions, opinions and views on them. I always start the conversation with "this is what Jews, Christians, Buddhist believe" and end it with "That's what they believe and it is to be respected"
    FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 5:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My 8 year old has had an interest in different religions for about two years now. She is very curious about the differences. My husband rarely entered a church growing up. I went to a Lutheran church the entire time I was growing up. Neither one of us had any experience with different religions and found that we couldn't answer her questions. We started allowing her to attend church with family and friends. She loves it. She often asks to stay and talk with the pastor after the sevice. She's found that while she enjoys all of them, she really likes the methodist church my aunt attends. We think it's good for her to explore them and have the chance to get her questions answered.
    southenrmunchkn

Answer by southenrmunchkn at 5:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• We take our kids to events that are open to public already - to keep them open minded.. recently we went to a Greek Festival hosted by a local Greek Orthodox church. The money raised benefited the churches plans for expanding, they had singing, food, dancing, church tours, traditions, etc. Keep in mind, the kids are only 2 and 4 right now. I keep my eye out for things like that and look forward to them. I tease my husband that I will burst into flames when I walk through the church doors.. but I never do. *sigh* I realize this isn't attending a sermon but it is a fun positive way to introduce them to some religions by going to events hosted by religious groups. Its fun for us and the kids at this age.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Our child will be raised with our beliefs. Proverbs 22:6. We need to train them up... If they ask questions about other religions we need to be prepared to answer them questions. But, it is our job as parents to train them, to equip them to be grounded in faith and doctrine. There are a lot of false teachers and doctrines out there that children shouldn't be exposed to and also need to be made aware of.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I will answer any questions my children have objectively. I will not let them attend church even with friends I do not see fit. They will not partake in any church activities of churches I do not feel line up with our beliefs.

We are a military family, anyone in military housing knows you have people from all walks of life, up bringing, and belief systems. I have an LDS neighbor,on the other side catholic, and across the street Agnostic and a Jewish family. They can play hang out have dinner with these children. I do not have a problem with that. I will not let them attend church with them

Their parents are also my friends.

thewife1

Answer by thewife1 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i agree with reneek3. my kids ask questions, and i always answer them best i can. i use the internet or ask someone about it if needed. but i also make sure they are grounded in OUR beliefs. we even talk about the differences in our beliefs and other religions, and why our belief does not agree with the other, vise versa. i dont want them sheltered.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 5:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2008