Anyone ever have an extremely clingy child? How do I get him off of me!

I have a three year old who thinks he absolutely has to be in the same room as me! And not only in the same room but all over me! He climbs on me and just wont stay off of me! Don't get me wrong, I love knowing that he wants to be with me. But I cant even leave the couch to go to the kitchen without him being right behind me!lol. So anyway I was just wondering what some of you have done to make your child a little more independant!

JaycesMamma

Asked by JaycesMamma at 11:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Once he feels secure that you are coming back he'll be fine. Separation anxiety is hard on many children.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:38 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• my 2 year old is the same way and has always been "mommy's little girl" from day one. now that she's a little older she's not as up my butt as she used to be. she used to cry when she was a baby and id leave the room.. lol. but i wouldnt let her climb all over me unless we were playing, that imo is annoying. he's 3 so you can explain to him that you don't want to be climbed on right now. as for the clingyness, you just have to endure it until he gets a little older and decides he doesn't need mommy as much anymore (which he will)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The more you push away the more the worse he will get. He has to feel that you are not going anywhere, get him to help you do things around the house, what ever room you are in have him help you pick up or what ever. Just get him to see if he walks away you will still be there when he turns around.
    Just take Baby steps, he will be fine, he just needs to feel secure.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My son is like this.. he always has been like this, he lacks independent play no matter how hard I've tried over the years. he is 3 also .. I feel you mama.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Mine lil 1.5 year old the same way i cant use the bathroom with out her bargin in an sayin whatchu doing? she will not let me out her sight i have to sneak out to go to work but i guess we all have loving kids :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 4:33 AM on Dec. 15, 2010