Is it worth cutting food stamps?

I suppose if your kids are being fed breakfast lunch and dinner at school it's ok if they cut the families food stamps, right?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• While I think alot of people get way too much in FS, and if they were smarter or bothered to use coupons or plan they could eat better on much less, I dont think this program will do anything but force me to pay more for the crappy food my child eats for lunch at the school. Conveniently when they started offering free breakfast to everyone our lunches went up .40 cents a DAY. We now pay $2.65 I think a day for our lunches at the school. Alot of times they dont prepare enough and when my daughter who is on the last run gets to lunch there is very little for her to choose from. And while she would rather have a decent salad, she is stuck eating chicken nuggets or pizza or some crap like that.

People need to take personal responsibility in EVERY part of their lives and they dont. There is too much welfare handed out and not enough restrictions or demands put on those getting it.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• If deficit reduction and paying off China are goals, then spending must be cut at all levels (and revenue generated). Trimming of FS allotments should be included. Elimination is different from cutting amounts. Beans and rice plus veggies are cheap and offer complete nutrition. No one needs Twinkies, sugary sodas or choice beef in order to be healthfully fed-not even children. You can ask mine-I never bought them crap either.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:39 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:39 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Not at all... what about the children that are not yet in school? What about summer time? Just because someopne is on foodstamps doesn't mean that they are obese... I know plenty of very wealthy people that have a weight problem, I think that assumption is very ignorant.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Complete idiocy. They are cutting food stamps to pay for "better" school lunches, and increasing the price of lunches for those deemed able to afford it. This is going to hit the middle class hard, there are a lot of families that depend on food stamps and don't qualify for free lunch.

I love how Obama said "not to worry, we'll figure out how to pay for this before the food stamp program gets cut." Really? Well maybe I'll just go out and buy an expensive car and figure out how to pay for it later. Great plan.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• just a few bits of info i'd like to point out...i have 2 children and only 1 of them gets fed 10 out of 21 meals per week at school (thats assuming there are no holidays or school breaks or sick days)...every child who gets foodstamps gets free lunches, you just put your fs # on the app and you dont even have to fill the rest out...i make the majority of our meals from scratch and as cheaply as possible (we dont even buy premade drinks) and the fs we get now barely makes it to the end of the month...im currently disabled due to cancer and have 2 children to care for. i've worked full time since i was 16 and am college educated, i just happen to be sick. do you really want to take food from US?
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 12:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No!! Most kids don't even eat nasty ass school lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• NO
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• What about weekends/summers?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2010