My 9 year old daughter is having discharge?

Being a woman maybe I should know this but, I am not sure so please don't judge. My 9 year old daughter started wearing a training bra about a year ago and hasn't really grown to needing more than that. I was throwing insome laundry and realized that she is having some discharge. Is this normal as a young girl or a sign that her period is quickly approaching? Thanks for the help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• yes and yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes, normal, and yes, be prepared!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I started having a discharge about a year before I started my first period.
    Anonymous

• yeppers!! I got mine at 9 I would just start preparing her for it so shes not scared!!
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 12:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• If she complains of itching,it could be a yeast infection. If it has a fishy smell it is a yeast infection. It could be a period if those two symptoms r not present.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It is normal, and it means she will probably start menustrating soon. Have you talked to her about this? If not, then it's time. There are some good books about this that you can get at the livrary. The American Girl has one that is really good.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Sorry.... I know that discharge is normal but, does it mean that her period is coming soon or can they have discharge for quite some time before their period starts. Just realized I worded that wrong above. Thanks again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Thanks ladies. That's what I was afraid of. I guess we will have a talk, Thanks for the help!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• my daughter had discharge then a yr later got her period pediatrician says the discharge is normal between ages 9and up.
    alwayslost93

Answer by alwayslost93 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Girls get the discharge about a year before their period starts. Definatley time for those converstaions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2010