Agree or Disagree, why or why not?

When people are doing God’s thing, they have freedom—they can laugh at themselves, they can take humiliation and non-success because their own reputation is not at stake. The mature believer will probably look more like a holy fool than a do-gooder or a “saint.”

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well if I live according to doing all things to God's glory and not my own then I guess I must look rather foolish at times. I have learned to take things that many people would find insulting and do nothing. If my purpose is to glorify God in all things then yes I may seem foolish and weak. But those that crucified Jesus thought the same of him, didn't they?
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Even people who don't believe in God are like that. It's not just a "God thing".
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• disagree

I did not become joyfully free until I put the god aside for the Goddess.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I second that MamaK88!

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 3:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Let me add that I do understand what you are saying. My Mawmaw was like that. She was a true joy to be around. I spent more time with her than I did at home.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I guess I should have specified people who do believe in God....It frequently takes me by surprise that people who do not would even be interested in answering the question....That being said, for me, one does not have to believe in God to be doing "God's thing"....it's unconcious (sp).....and comes from a place of humility....
    Anna92464

Comment by Anna92464 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I disagree in the premises but not the end result. I don't see why personal reputation and mature faith should counter act each other. I find the only freedom that mature faith brings is in knowing that one is doing the right thing and are no longer held by the fetters of social preconceptions and childhood strictures. Personal reputation is internal not external and thus informed by faith and character, not outside sources.

But this is subjective to my understanding of the terms 'holy fool' and 'do-gooder.' That is if you accept that Mother Teresa or any willing volunteer for a soup kitchen as a 'holy fool' and not a 'do-goode' which is how I'm understanding it.

As to God in the question; due to an overwhelming monotheistic social viewpoint, I tend to read 'God' as divine or divinity as I'm polytheistic. I do believe in the Gods and this question is as relevant to polytheists as to monotheists.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It would appear to be the truth. How many mothers are in the news saying that they only killed their children because god told them to? Hitler killed Jews in god's name. Constantine slaughtered Muslims and Jews in god's name. The Westboro Baptist church harasses the helpless dead in god's name. Christians don't have to take responsibilities for their actions because they have god and the bible to take the blame. They can say, "I don't really HATE you, it's just that god/the bible says...." So, it is probably true, but I certainly do DISAGREE with it. People who can't take responsibility for their own actions are...well, they're called "children".
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Anna your right on track... Did you know that in the book of Colossians 1 chapter 15-21 I think talks about how God is in EVERYTHING that INCLUDES the pre- believers... they just do not know it yet. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2010