How do I get my husband to want to exercise?

Dh and I are both overweight. We both want to lose weight. However, I have really bad asthma and other conditions so I always want someone to work out with me just in case. He says he wants to but then he'll buy us both soda and candy for snacks. Both of his parents are close to 400 lbs each. He has horrible eating habits. I know I can't make him. I think he wants to just doesn't really know what will work. Anyone know how to get him off the couch and pry the mountain dew and kit kats away from him??

bseastrand

Asked by bseastrand at 12:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Don't let him go grocery shopping if he's the one buying the snacks and sodas. Keep cut up veggies in correct portion sizes in the fridge for good snacks. Nuts are a good low cal protein for snacks if you buy the right kinds (just keep an eye on labels) and you can also portion those out in advanced. I stock my fridge up the night before so I'm not stressing over food during the day. Find what motivates both him and yourself. If you start, he might follow if you do it RIGHT in front of him. Watch what you eat and how you cook...there are ALWAYS healthy & delicious alternatives to every kind of food out there!! For instance, BAKE chicken tenders instead of frying them... Make sure you eat a balanced diet that is right for YOU... MyPyramid.gov can help you plan that out for both of you. Stay positive :) Eat a bunch of small meals throughout the day, breakfast being your largest.
    No_Difference

Answer by No_Difference at 8:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Tell him that watching him exercise makes you horny. It will work :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Haha, I love SleepingBeautee's answer!! Unfortunately, I don't really have good advice. Do you have any friends that can workout with you so you're not alone if something happens? Maybe if he sees you being active and getting healthier, it will motivate him? Try finding something active that you guys both like and make plans to do it together--if there are cool places to go hiking where you live, that kind of thing....And I know it's tough, but just because he brings home junk food doesn't mean you have to eat it :) Make sure the fridge and pantry are stocked with healthier food to snack on, and make the junk food a very once-in-awhile treat. If you can start by setting a good example, it might motivate him too....
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Find something he really enjoys. I'm not a fan of exercise, but I have become a Zumba addict!
    elwalters77

Answer by elwalters77 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I know where you are my husband does not want to work out with me either and he is MUCH over weight but what I did to lose my weight is everytime I wanted or thought I needed to eat something I would write it down and as I wrote it down most the time I ended up not eating what I should not of eaten. If your husband states seeing you lose weight that might inspire him.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Counseling first - then motivation to exercise. Don't keep snacks or high caloric foods in the house (course he might hoard) but that is a first step also.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Don't nag him, but commit to changing your own lifestyle for you, and let your changes be inspirational to him.
    And try not to get frustrated with him, though I know it's difficult...just remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
    Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:44 AM on Dec. 16, 2010