Do real contractions feel like really bad menstrual cramps and pain in your lower back?

Iansmommy10

Asked by Iansmommy10 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it can,yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It's easier to assess them based on their affect on your abdomen.

Braxton-HIcks contractions are sporatic, all over and you'll have one area firm and contracted while another area is soft and relaxed.

'Real' contractions --by which I'm assuming you mean 'productive' contractions-- are coordinated, start at the top and move downwards, or happen all over all at once.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Contractions are the worst thing, by far, that I have dealt with that hurt so bad.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• mine feel that way i have had them going on for five days now every 5 to 10 minutes apart and the hospital still sent me home since I only dilated to 1 cm so I suggest if your feeling them go for a walk and starting opening up that cervix lol
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• all three of my labors felt a little different. if contractions are timable, getting stronger, and closer together then they are probably real.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes, sometimes.

Answer by older at 1:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• They sure do. If it is pain or cramps that come and go, you need to time them. Anything closer than say 5 minutes apart is time for concern.
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 1:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It is a definite possibility! I had back labor with my 3 youngest. Eventually the cramping would start to radiate to the front!
    momof4qtz

Answer by momof4qtz at 1:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Mine didn't feel anything like menstrual cramps.  Mine felt more like an extremely bad muscle ache or tightening.

HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It is absolutely different for everyone. Trust me you will know when you are starting labor because as it progresses it will hurt like hell. For me it just felt like I was carrying a really heavy backpack. Not like period cramps at all. Just sworeness. I didn't even know I was in labor because every one said it feels like cramps and tightenings.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 4:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010