What can I use as a substitute to shampoo in a carpet cleaner?

gatorswife

Asked by gatorswife at 1:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Shampoo.

No, really. You're looking for something that foams a lot and rinses out without leaving a lot of residue, yes? Dishsoap is out because it's just too thick ...

You could also just use plain water, with a bit of vinegar in it or baking soda if you're cleaning for odours rather than dirt.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Nothing. You're likely to break the machine and void the warranty. Either use just water or forget about using the cleaner.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• i use liquid laundry detergent... my favorite is all small and mighty. it smells so good.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I've used liquid laundry soap, Mr. Clean, bleach, lol basically any liquid cleaner.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 1:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• i know dry dishwasher soap mixed with warm water is a really GREAT spot cleaner on carpets, so i don't see how you couldn't use it in a machine, but make sure you mix it up really well in hot water and strain so there are none of the granuales left in the soapy mixture...

CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• White vinegar in the water with no detergent is excellent and leaves no smell behind. Regular cleaning and spot cleansers cause a build-up which makes dirt stick to the carpet fibers.With all of that said, I have always heard that small amounts of liquid Tide and baby shampoo are two of the best choices if you are out of the official cleaning solution.

lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• on our crappy white-ish lighter color carpeting in the last house we rented, i shampooed the floors with soapy water and bleach...it didn't ruin the floor or anything, and worked great...
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I use amonia. I have a Hoover SteamVac and it works great. There is no soapy residue left on the carpet for dirt to stick to. Just fill the water container as you would normaly and then just substitute the amonia for the carpet shampoo. Got coffee stains out of my vehicle....looks like new!!!!
    lovemykids2010

Answer by lovemykids2010 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2011