Is a 4 year college degree so 20th century??

We've all been told that a requirement of success now is a four-year college degree, at the very minimum. But Peter Thiel disagrees. That idea, says the PayPal co-founder, is so 20th century, that the self-made billionaire plans to award cash grants of $100,000 to college students -- if they'll drop out of school.

At a tech conference in October, Thiel announced a two-year program called "20 Under 20" that will grant $100,000 to 20 aspiring entrepreneurs under the age of 20. In addition to the cash, the two-year program offers mentoring, training and employment opportunities with Thiel's personal network of tech entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and philanthropists. Deadline to apply is Dec. 31, and fellows will be announced in early 2011.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• How many BAs are currently working in the service industry?

The story has long been 'get a degree = get a better job' but that only works when degrees are rare and hard to come by. Once 2/3 of the population has one (many whom have purchased one, or have the skills needed to gain a degree but not a job), it becomes part of the background noise to hiring quality candidates... in many cases seen as lesser than having worked, tried out business opportunities, or otherwise 'lived a life' rather than 'learned a schooling'...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It's an interesting concept - but let's face it, not everyone is cut out to run their own business/be an entrepreneur. It takes a LOT of hard work and dedication, not to mention business savvy.

I applaud him for supporting budding entrepreneurs, but a 4-year college isn't 20th century - in a lot of industries it's the bare minimum you need to succeed.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Scuba..agree 100%

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The signal to noise just means employers have to work a little harder to weed out the garbage degrees from scam schools, but for the most part those are 2 yr and masters programs, not 4 year. If anything, 4 year is one of the ways to still have an edge up. Diploma mills aren't into that kind of commitment - you default on their private loans long before you can graduate if you want to go more than 2 years.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I agree with scuba. The only time a college degree is not worth it; doesn't count or matter, is when you do NOT have one-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• To each their own... Personally, my degree(s) and the challenges and journey I endured to obtain my degree (and am enduring to advance my career development via Graduate studies) are a major contributing factor to my personal and financial success... ;o) Slow steady steps for my husband and I~ have provided us with great opportunities and advancements.... I wouldn't have dropped out, nor would I consider dropping out today...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think a 4 year degree is a bare minimum needed. Just look at the difference in the unemployment rate of college graduates vs non graduates. In some instances, there are people without degrees who do very well but it's not the norm.

Answer by missanc at 1:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My cousin was in the Navy for 6 years then went to college , he dropped out his last year to run a nuclear power plant and makes BIG $$$$$ He took 6 months off to travel at one point , drives a BMW and has a giant home in poughkeepsie NY...

however, I think he is the exception and not the rule without a degree

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes, now days you need a degree to survive. It's only going to get worse.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2010