My dh skin is SOOOO horribly dry...we are doing all we know how to do to relive him of his itching...got any other suggestions?

He takes short not hot showers....we cake on thick thick Eucerin cream everyday...sometimes twice a day...

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 1:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Health

• if cutting down on the showers hasn't helped it might be dermatologist time. in the winter my kids and dh all require prescription strength ointments and creams to stay comfortable
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Avocado, butter, olive oil, full fat cheese, salmon or mackerel or anchovies. And much, much more water. Not on, in.

He's dehydrated and probably shy of essential fatty acids. And, more likely than not, vitamin D --because of the lack of essential fatty acids.

He probably should not shower daily. He can wash the smelly bits (and his hair if he's greasy, but somehow I think he isn't) daily or even twice a day without getting his whole body washed.

He should never, ever, ever use anything labelled 'soap' --only things like 'cleansing bars' or 'bodywash' --as ALL soap has lye, which is a chemical burn for a lot of people. It washes away the acid mantle on skin, making it much more open to the elements, and much more likely to be itchy, dry or even acne-prone. So, not even 'oatmeal' soap or even 'olive oil' soap. No soap. Ever.

No soap for his clothes either, eh? Detergent only.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• When he steps out of the shower, before he towels himself, while he is still wet. Slather on baby oil. then just dab dry. It helps.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Have you talked to the Dr about it? Could be a serious skin condition. Otherwise, I'd recommend trying a different lotion if the eucerin's not working. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 1:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• oh! Switch the soap he uses! Could be the soap is drying his skin. I get patches of dry skin after taking a shower because of the water. We live in town and it's chlorinated, plus it's hard water. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 1:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Leave the skin damp and put the lotion on try Dermasil its good.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Linda took the words out of my mouth.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Renew lotion is fantastic! It heals, protects, and prevents even the driest skin. It restores moisture to the skin and leaves skin softer. It outperformed Original Eucerin in clinical tests. It is fast absorbing, non-greasy, and long lasting. It even comes with a 100% satisfaction, money back guarantee. This is a products that my family cannot live without. If you would like more information please contact me.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Eucerin helps a bit....but when it turns cold...thats when it starts...in normal weather he is fine.

I hadnt thought of a dermatologist....maybe for something stronger. He might be willing to go since it is such a pain for him.
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• some of the lotions being suggested are really REALLY pricey guys!!!!! $18 a tube/bottle VS possibly less than that for a pharmacy co-pay (assuming you have insurance of some kind) plus if it doesn't work (the fancy lotion) or he's allergic you're out huge $$$$ and have a bottle of waste then
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010