Prescription for OTC meds?

Okay, I'm hoping someone can 'dumb this down' for me.
The 'need a prescription for OTC meds' rule for 2011.
How does this work?
Is it for everybody?
with or without insurance?
Or is it only effecting those with a flex spending account or other accounts? (which is what exactly?) and want to be reimbursed for for buying cough drops?

I'm in a pharmacy class, having a debate. But I'm not sure how to respond. Everyone is just getting worked up over Obama, bad health care plan, and having to go the dr. to get a prescription for Midol. Everyone is so mad that they'll have to go to the dr. in order to get tylenol. and "what's next, a prescription for toilet paper?"

I just want to understand what exactly is going on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• kduffy, people who have Health Savings Accounts (before ObamaCare) could use their HSA to purchase OTC Claritin, Sinus meds, etc, medical supplies.... Not anymore.. They must have a Rx... THAT is BS... It is THEIR savings account, to offset medical costs in the future.. NOW, they have to pay for a Dr. call to get a Rx in order to use their HSA.... TOTAL BS..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It's for HSA's... And it's BS....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Basically, this is the Government stepping in and punishing people for doing the RIGHT thing and saving for the future and saving to offset costs...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I am so excited! We get to go to the doctor & pay a $25 copay to get a prescription for our OTC allergy meds. My insurance co will also get ot kick in their portion of the visit. Already crowded doctor's offices will become even more crowded..by those simply seeking a prescription for Motrin or Rolaids. Stupid Stupid Stupid.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• HSA's aren't just for medicaid/medicare... And the reason for the HSA was to take the burden off of RELYING ON HSA.... Anyone can have an HSA account... They contribute to their SAVINGS Account... THey aren't getting anything for FREE.. They have contributed to their OWN savings account..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• This just proves how desperate this admin is to take every cent they can from us; seriously, to make us pay for a doc visit to get a prescription for infant Tylenol is just absurd! For them to hijack the HSA/FSA accounts definitely falls in the GREEDY category!!!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• yes, kduffy.. Except, Individuals can contribute to a personal HSA without employer involvement... I think kerp thinks the HSA/FSA are a medicaid program... NO...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Well, my husband has a FSA, and we use it to put money aside for our children's speech and RDI therapies--since they are NOT covered by either of our insurance plans (well, beyond 6-12 appointments, that is), so...since we pay over $10,000/child/year in OOP expenses, being allowed to SAVE a little off the top and STRETCH our income to pay for our children's medical needs, USED to be considered responsible, forward-thinking, parenting, but I guess not in the age of Obama!!

Never fear, we'll find alternate ways to legally hide our money (education savings plans, special trust funds, etc. courtesy of our accountant) so that we can help our children--because as far as I'm concerned their needs come first and foremost--to hell with what Obama says!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It's for those folks with a HSA- loaded with pre-tax dollars- In order to use that money to pay for certain (defined) OTC meds, you must have an MD order.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• they have been doing prescriptions for OTCs for a while now.. So medicaid people dont have to pay for stuff like claritin, or pedialyte, or monastat.. but the new otc rule is kinda for FSA, becasue as of 2011 FSAs wll no longer be covering OTCs without a prescription.
    I work in a Dr's Office as well as a certified Pharmacy Tech, and its honestly ridculous. while you are out paying for your midol FSA holders and medicaid clients are getting it for 0.00 basically (i knwo fsa they place money in there... but just saying with a prescription your insurance may cover it.)
    kduffy

Answer by kduffy at 1:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2010