Why do some parents think

That it's okay to be out and about with their children in the cold, their child only has a t shirt or a simple long sleeve while the parent is in a coat?

I see this all the time in Utah. I see it just about every time I'm out. Does it annoy anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I see it too... a lot!

It is rotten and wrong! Kids need to be warm.

I am the opposite though, the kids always have coats and I never do. I do not get cold very often, so I never know when the kids need one, so the rule is, they always need one :p
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• They're not bothering to parent.
    jinxandjoy

Answer by jinxandjoy at 1:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Linda... I was assuming it was little kids she was referring to, not those old enough to make that decision.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• yes I hate that. they always get the side eye from me. I even hate when its just starting to get cool out and see babies with no shoes and socks on
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 1:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• That would be annoying to me
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Their not thinking and that's horrible to do to the children.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I don't think the OP intended it to be a contest, for the "worst parenting in relationship to temperature that you've ever seen!" So yes, I think that what the OP described is bad - it's totally unacceptable for children below middle school age to be treated with such disregard for their health and safety. It's irresponsible, stupid, and lazy parenting.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 1:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• very annoying, you care about your health and not your child's? Something wrong with that
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Doesn't annoy me. Anymore than it annoys me to be coatless when everyone else is wearing one. If *I* am at the correct temperature for me, why does everyone else have to perceive it the same way I do?

I'm currently menopausal... so I'm overheated pretty much all the time. I don't wear coats and my kids do. When I'm post-menopausal and feel cold, I'll wear a coat again... and if my kids do or don't, it has nothing to do with me.

When compliance to orders is more important than personal preference in something as ridiculous as personal body temperature, you can be sure that children will go to tremendous lengths to 'prove' that THEY are not cold and don't need a jacket. The only predictable response to command-and-control style of parenting is rebellion --even against the elements.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Well it doesn't annoy me anymore because my son and hubby are warm all the time. They are always in shortsleeve shirts and my son want to wear flip flops and crocs all year round. Took him forever to stop asking to wear shorts, so I have stopped bugging him. He knows how cold it is and what he shoudl wear to be warm.

Now if its 5 degrees and no coat and short sleeve shirt, then I woudl b concerend but as long as its a reasonable weather outside I think its ok to let them decide.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 1:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2010