Do you home school? If so what state?

I am thinking of looking to relocate to a better job market (anything is better then Ohio/Michigan). Ohio has a cool home schooling program K12 where they learn at home but through teachers. I want to move somewhere with something similar.

My kids are special needs and we can get them what they need but adjusting to new classroom maybe to much. I plan to try public but need an opition in case the change is to overwhelming. I thought of letting my oldest live with relatives for next 5 years till graduation but I can't do it. I need to move to get a more stable job and get away from the craziness that currently surrounding me.

So if you like your home schooling program and state you live in please answer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I homeschooled here in California and in Wyoming. In Wyoming, you just write a letter to the school district telling them that you will be homeschooling, and what curriculum you plan to use. That's it, there isn't any help, nor anyone checking up on you.

Here in California technically you have to be a certified teacher, but you can find "umbrella schools" to use, that sound much like what you are doing in Ohio. My youngest graduated from high school a year ago, and I know that things have changed some, but we used a charter school, and the tax money that would have gone to our local school district went into an account that provided text books and school supplies for our kids, once a month we met with a teacher.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We live in Arkansas. We use the K12 system through a public school system that is at home. We love it. It has its down falls but I make up for them.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 1:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I homeschool and I live in PA. PA has free cyber charter schools available but we don't use them. We did the first year we homeschooled but found it way too restrictive. Now we just do traditional homeschooling using a mixture of curriculum.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010