The clothing debate

Are you one of the parents that figure the fashions for kids are out of your hands? Do you figure that if your daughter wants skin tight jeans,or cleavage revealing tops at 13,that there's nothing you can do because "its the fashion" and you buy it anyway?
Or do you have them wear what YOU decide is appropriate,perhaps with a little compromise?
Same goes for makeup and hairstyles
Is there an age where you just throw up your hands and admit defeat?
Do you tell them if they want it,they get a job and buy it themselves?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• daughter is presently 4 years 6 months. The rules we've had since birth are the rules we'll have thru her 18th b-day. No bikini's. No crop tops. No short shorts or booty shorts. No short dresses and shorts or capri's go under all dresses no exceptions

This past Summer we actually went to a Bermuda short and capri only rule for awhile 'cuz at the time the stores we shop at were literally selling only shorts consider trampy. ew.

And undies: no naughty words, inappropriate cuts, etc.

Tank tops OK, no cleavage or very thin straps and we wont allow bra straps showing on purpose like alot of tops are designed for
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Any clothes that are worn by my kids and they wear out of my house have to meet with my approval. We go shopping together and agree on the clothes, I buy them. This will continue until they are out of school. Even when they have a job and can afford to buy some of their own clothes, they still will have to meet with my approval. If they like/dislike certain colors, patterns, etc. that's not a big deal - I wouldn't object to a certain fashion style. I only object to clothing that is too revealing or has rude/crass writing. Right now, my daughter thinks that clothes that are too revealing are shocking and would never wear them - I can only hope that continues!

Answer by missanc at 1:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Are you one of the parents that figure the fashions for kids are out of your hands? NO

Do you figure that if your daughter wants skin tight jeans,or cleavage revealing tops at 13,that there's nothing you can do because "its the fashion" and you buy it anyway? NO

Or do you have them wear what YOU decide is appropriate,perhaps with a little compromise? Only what I decide is appropriate. No compromises.

Same goes for makeup and hairstyles Is there an age where you just throw up your hands and admit defeat? Nope.

Do you tell them if they want it,they get a job and buy it themselves? Nope, not as long as they live in my home. My children do wear things they like, and are "in style", but they also have to be mom approved.

tyleroy

Answer by tyleroy at 1:50 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I would LOVE for my daughter to be "in fashion" at every age! So long as it is tasteful.... Right now my daughter is 5, even at that age, there are LOTS of clothes that are perceived as "fashionable" but are way too provocative for a five year old. In our house we call them Trashy Clothes...Her words not mine, But I have to say, I agree. Bottom line, we want her in style, but as long as she lives in our home, regardless of WHO bought it, if we don't approve, she wont walk out the door, at ANY AGE ;)
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have never cared about being fashionable, its all about class, taste and comfort. I would never allow my kids to wear anything I didn't think was appropriate.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Our only daughter (we also had 2 sons) lived at home until after she had finished college, and she never wore anything that was in any way vulgar. I attribute that to the fact that her daddy and I raised her to attract guys with her inner beauty and not with her exposed body parts. The result of that were excellent. She did not marry until she was 31 and was extremely wise in her "dating", which she did very little of. She told me on more than one occasion that guys wanted to marry girls like her, but they wanted to date the other kind. She chose to wait until a guy came looking for a girl like her, and their courtship and marriage has been a thing of beauty. They now have two little boys and she is one happy lady! So, my advice is to teach your daughters well about where true beauty and attractiveness lie, and to stand at the door, if you must, to check out what they have on when they plan to leave the house.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:50 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I am one of those parents that compromises. I have 2 boys and 1 girl. I have always let them get whatever hair cuts they want, hair is something that will grow back and I don't think you need to fit over it. As for clothes my DD is only 9 so she hasn't started with the cleavage tops or anything. I pretty much let them wear what they want. I have never gotten to the point where I just throw up my hands and admit defeat. I think if you do that then you have lost all parenting control.

My boys are 13 and 11 and one could care less about his looks and the other one has to have everything perfect. I just go with it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My children are still fairly young (10 and 7). My son doesn't really care about trends, he just likes being comfortable (he has sensory integration issues, so once we find clothing he's comfortable with, we stick with it). Dd notices what the other kids are wearing and has asked for some of the items. However, she is adamant that her skirts be at least to her knees, preferably lower, and she doesn't like tight clothing. I figure, if it's a silly tshirt or something, I'm not going to fight over it. They have both been told what our limit is for certain articles of clothing, and if they want name brand or trendy items, they have to make up the difference in the cost from their allowances....puts it in a whole new light....they have yet to go with the name brand things
    Larisa72

Answer by Larisa72 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My child will wear appropriate clothing for her age regardless if it is the current fashion or not. She will wear (if she wants to wear) the appropriate amount of makeup for her age as well. There is no way that my daughter or son is going to go out, or even stay home, in clothing that isn't age appropriate. They will have rules regarding clothing and makeup.

Now, even if they had their own job they will not be allowed to break the clothing and makeup rules. They can purchase whatever they want, but that doesn't mean they'll be allowed to wear it. I will raise respectful children who carry themselves in a classy manner. None of this clevege for miles, bandaid skirts, and packed on makeup. No way.

If we are butting heads then we will discuss it and come to a comprimise, but in no way will they just get their way to avoid a fight. It's not that easy in my household. I stand my ground.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have a lot of issues w/ bikinis on girls.... and halter tops, too. The word halter top as it implies, it supposed to halt something. That something being breasts.

And as far as bikini's go, they're adult cut to show off adult curves and be sexually appealing to adult males. Why would that be cute on your kid? Ish. I've heard the excuse alot that it's convenient, like for faster potty trips. I'm willing to struggle w/ a wet suit for 90 seconds to help instill a sense of morals to my daughter. Her body is for her and her future partner(s), not for others to see on public display because it's "inconvenient" when we swim. We do modest 1 piece suits w/ no halter, backless, cleavage enhancement, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2010