No Massage....? :(

I recently received a Homedics Neck and Shoulder Massager for Christmas. I was told by a few ladies at work that I couldn't use it because I'm pregnant...

I know if you get a massage on your body, you should seek a professional. However, this is on the neck. Can I use this or will it cause harm.

And why exactly can't you get a massage during pregnancy without permission??

bbycrazy

Asked by bbycrazy at 1:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Anonymous is correct about the deep tissue massages as they release toxins. However a simple neck massage should be fine but if I were you I would treat yourself to a pregnancy massage. They are great!
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• i hate these stupid taboos. hun you can use a massager, have rough sex, tan, dye your hair, do heavy exercise, weight lift, eat hotdogs, cold cuts, and sushi. these are stupid old taboos and none of them will harm your baby.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Girl don't listen to that garbage.. theres nothing wrong with using a massager
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I've had 3 babies.. lol.. I went and got my neck and feet massaged a few times with all 3.
    I'm due again in April, and for Christmas I asked for a certificate from my fav place...

I've honestly never heard of that. Call your dr and ask to be safe. GL
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have heard to avoid pressure points in your hands and feet, but never anything about shoulders and neck.

Answer by missanc at 1:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• You can get massage during pregnancy. Just not the first trimester. Then the rest of the time there are points you should not hit on different parts of your body. It could put you into labor. Go head and use your neck massage. I got massages with my kids when I was pregnant and loved it. It is so relaxing and helps with labor to have relaxed muscles.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My sister is a massage therapist, and she gives me massages when I'm pregnant. She said that there's a different technique to it though, for the lower back. She said you can't go deep into the tissue because it can damage the tissues around the womb or something like that. Neck/shoulders isn't a problem though.
    Gemska

Answer by Gemska at 1:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• hell, I've seen pregnant women at the chiropractors getting adjusted! Massage is recommended
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• A deep tissue massage, or massage of certain pressure points, during the first trimester, can cause misscarriage.
    Anonymous