Does anyone else have a 9 year old who still has a blanket?

My son who is smart and athletic still carries around his baby blanket! Now he doesn't do it in public but has it all the time at home and I feel horrible because it drives me crazy! He's going to be 9 and I just think its time to give it up. Am I wrong? Is it that big of a deal? Does anyone have any insight into why he does it or how to get him to let go of it?

ditchen4

Asked by ditchen4 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughters do when they are home, it doesn't matter, He can be athletic and still have a favorite blanket.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My 9 yr old dd still does. Only at night. I do not have an issue with it. There are bigger things in life for me to worry over than whether my child still has a blankie at 9.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 2:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes.
    Anonymous

• I have twin 10 year old boys and they have specific blankets they still like to curl up on the couch or floor with when watching TV. I don't see it as a big deal.
    SueAnd2

Answer by SueAnd2 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• He needs it. My son had a stuffed cat that he carried around everywhere, even in public. I thought he was too old for it too, but he insisted. As soon as I gave up trying to get him to give it up, he stopped carrying it.

Don't sweat it, he will give it up when he is ready.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My daughter (age 10) still has hers. She certainly doesn't carry it around, not even at home, but she keeps it folded on her bed and she'll curl up with it when she's not feeling well.
    He'll give it up when he's ready, don't worry.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 2:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My son is 7 and same thing, uses it at home or sleep over at grandmas, I personally don't care as long as it stays home. He can take it college if he wants, I don't seet he problem. If it gives him some comfort why take it away. He will eventually.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Mine is 14 and still has hers but we do not allow it to leave the bedroom. She also has Aspergers and is a lil immature for her age.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2010