Michelle Obama.... Thoughts??

“childhood obesity isn’t just a public health threat, it’s not just an economic threat, it’s a national security threat as well." ~ Michelle Obama

"WE can't just leave it up to the Parents" ~ Michelle Obama

~~~~~~

Where does Childhood Obesity rate in regards to National Security in your opinion?

"Can't leave food choices up to the parents"~Do you agree? Do you consider allowing the government to mandate, and require schools to PAY more~ better hands?

Do you think changing school lunches will Change the Children?  Or~ go to waste?

"You can put on the menu more fruits and veggies, but if you don't get the beans and the broccoli in the tummy of the child and it goes to the trash cans instead. then it's just a facade -- a waste. Just makes things look good on paper." Dr. Stephen Kleinsmith

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• How many obese kids were around a generation ago? Not many, and now they're everywhere.

And for this I blame the parents and the cost of living. When I was a child, and when my kids (now 32 & 31) were kids they played outside all day, especially during the summer. We ran around and came home for meals and when the streetlights came on. With all that running around, instead of sitting and playing video games or on the computer, etc you burned up a whole lot more calories!

Now I see mom's on here that are SAHM's saying they are with their kids 24/7, they don't allow them to go out to play because it isn't safe. I don't think it's that much less safe now, but with all the cable news 24/7 you hear about it more.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 7:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• National security threat?!? Um, no, I don't think so.

And, no, I don't need the government in my business telling me how to raise my children. She needs to hush and go be that 'mom-in-chief' she was so excited to be to her own two kids and leave everyone else's kids alone.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• aaaarrrgggghhhh, this one kills me because I'm all about personal responsibility and freedoms. BUT with the rate of childhood obesity in the nation right now, it's clear that most parents are total IDIOTS when it comes to feeding their children. Seriously, it's pathetic. How many obese kids were around a generation ago? Not many, and now they're everywhere. What happened to our generation (I'm including myself as I have an 8 year old) that we're too stupid to serve our kids decent food.

Vote me down all you want, it's pure stupidity on the part of parents if their kids are fat (not including the incredibily rare actual medical cases, of course).
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• She also said, "I think that parents have a right to expect that their efforts at home won’t be undone each day in the school cafeteria or in the vending machine in the hallway. I think that our parents have a right to expect that their kids will be served fresh, healthy food that meets high nutritional standards."

Which is true.

And considering some of the stuff I've read here on CM over the years... sometimes I DO fear for allowing some parents to make choices. But I'd prefer to see everyone better educated on food choices.

I don't consider this a national security issue, but it is a national welfare issue... that is, well-being. And our Constitution does state that one of its purposes is to promote the general welfare.

But getting the greens into the kids does indeed remain the problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Childhood obesity is on the rise for several reasons. Some of them are the lack of free time for kids to simply run and play; the wide and cheap availability of convenience foods; the addtion of HFCS and/or trans fats to so many foods; and the increase of screens that dominate our world today.

Some of that can be solved with simple education and effort on the part of the parent. Some of it requires more work and cooperation from those who manufacture food. Do you know how many breads there are that do not use HFCS as a sweetner? Not too many. Even the ones that are 100% whole wheat can have that crap in there.

Yes, school lunches should be healthier. But that should not be a task for the federal government. It is a task for the school district.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The food kids eat is only part of the problem. How many kids spend hours sitting on their butts playing video games or on the computer? The gov't will have to regulate these as well.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• She is the first lady, not the first mommy. I don't need a young snot nose kid like her telling me how to cook, I was cooking long before she was even born.

When I raised my kids we didn't have any fat kids. This was before they invented video games, computers, and cell phones. When kids got out of school they played outdoors till it was dark out. Then they came in ate their supper, did their homework and got ready for bed. Kids did not sat on their butts all day like they do now. They have even taken out PE in schools now.

It's not that they don't eat right, it is because they don't get any exercise.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• How is it a national security threat? And they have to leave it up to the parents. The government does not belong in my home or in my kitchen. Changing school lunches will not help the obesity problem. You have to teach people portion sizes and teach them to be healthy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I let my DD buy lunch at school every couple of weeks. She comes home starving because the portions are just tiny, she says. Now, she doesn't pack a large lunch from home -- sandwich, a piece of fruit, whole grain crackers, and milk -- but she's not ravenous when she comes home. No, one small meal a day balanced against healthful choices for the other meals and exercise isn't going to matter.

But the 'can't leave it up to the parents' line -- I have a HUGE problem with that one. Step away from my kids now. If I need advice, I'll ask someone I trust, and you can bet it won't be the government.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It's nice to provide healthy food to kids at school, but I can tell you that it's wasted on a large scale. I have eaten with my kids in the lunch room at school and a majority of those 'healthy choices' get tossed in the trash. They only get 15 minutes to eat and a portion of that time is spent looking around the room for their friends. They drink the milk and eat whatever the protein is, but I have yet to see a child dig into the salad or veggies that are on the tray.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010