Babies and Cats

So my husband and I basically adopted this stray that was abandoned in our apartment complex... well it started with me hating him.. and then having our neighbor ask for help because he was becoming feral so we fed him outside.. and he didn't like me and he only liked my husband... and i told him if he let the cat in i would leave because i still thought he was evil... long story short now he sleeps on our pillows at night.. and he is a momma's boy
but we can't give him up now ... and i'm just worried about how he is going to react to the baby .. and if anyone has experience with cats and introducing baby...
I mean i think he likes her.. because he curls up on my stomach and she kicks him all the time...
but i know when my mom brought my little brother home our cat used to try to sleep in his crib... and he was really sort of protective over my brother and me and idk if i should expect that or what

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 5:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Definitely send a blanket home for the cats to sniff beforehand if you get the option (I didn't, even though I was prepared with one). We have two cats, and they had different reactions. One was scared at first, but then became very interested. It was so cute: whenever Bobby would cry, Rookie would come check it out and cry with him! It was the weirdest sound!

Fergus, on the other hand...he still doesn't like Bobby. If the baby is laying next to me and Fergus wants to snuggle, he'll just walk right over him, or sit on him! He completely ignores him, with the exception of the occasional glare. He was my first baby, and thankfully doesn't seem to hate me anymore, he just doesn't like the baby yet.

Do what you can to keep the cat out of the crib. I recommend putting tin foil in it until baby uses it, that usually scares off my guys! Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Just think positive. Most cats will attempt to sleep with the baby, but don't let that happen. My sister's cat almost suffocated the baby by sleeping in the crib with the baby. My sister did everything, but the cat was sneaky. I have a baby on the way and I am still trying to figure out how night sleep is going to work cause my cat practically sleeps on my head. Good Luck, If the cat has taken to you, everything should be good.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• well I had 5 cats yes 5 long story short, I had three husband had two got married and didn't want to get rid of them....anyway when we brought him home they looked at the carseat and walked away. My cat is a mommas boy to the extreme he got a little jealous at first NEVER took it out on the baby and now when I'm holding or rocking Griffin he will come up and lay beside him and snuggle. I'ts cute we call it Griffins "Booger Blanket" lol that's my cats name
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 5:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Have your husband bring something the baby has worn home from the hospital before you get there. This way, he can acclimate himself to her scent before she arrives. Also, be careful when she dribbles milk from her mouth because a lot of cats will try to get in their face to lick it off.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 5:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• most cats will do that but you also want to make sure the cat don't lay on the baby's head cause they act like a mother even though they are male have the tendency to try to nurture it and can smother the baby but i have 2 cats that i am worried about but i bought a CD that has baby sounds and i play it everyday for them and my dog so they get use to the sounds that baby's make so when the baby they won't be so surprised

Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Well, my husband brought home a baby kitty when our girls were about a month and so it was kinda the other way around. But the kitty does like to sleep with the babies and watch them. Sometimes when they cry she'll run to them or the sound. Just be careful because even tho the kitty doesn't mean it she does scratch the babies, and sometimes when they're moving their hands or feet she'll think she's playing and play back, but the babies don't have claws and teeth like she does. I am convinced that my kitty thinks my smaller baby is a kitty because she's crawling on her and playing with her like she would another cat. I would suggest bringing home a blanket a couple of days earlier than the baby so the kitty can get the smell and then bring home the baby. Also, try googling pets and babies and see what you get.
    katythemm

Answer by katythemm at 7:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I'm 28 wks and I have a cat. I am nervous about the cat jumping in the crib and sitting on the baby at night. But, my sister in law has this like mesh dome that goes over the crib and zips up so it's completely closed up. I figure if my cat starts bothering the baby I can just buy one of those.
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 11:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2008