He won't do it by himself

My son is turning 1 tomorrow..YAY!! and he never would hold his own bottle - if you try to put his hands on it he actually gets mad and flings them away with force, anyway - we've been trying to introduce the sippy cup for months now and he will not drink from it - he will IF you hold it and keep it tilted up - otherwise he just chews on it and throws it on the floor and believe me, this is not one of those - well, why should he bother if you will do it for him, kind of deals - he WON'T - any advice?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, that's the answer I thought I'd get - And it's Not that way - Its only with the sippy cup - he will feed himself - but I won't do it for him and then he will NOT drink - at all - nothing and I am trying to wean out formula and introduce milk in a sippy cup and being we are going on month # 4 with this sippy cup and he's coming up on a year and the weaning to milk needs to start, I was hoping for different advice because I have done the not doing it for him -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Hes prob just spoiled because you have always held it for him. If hes hungry he'll eat, so just dont do it for him anymore! GL:)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• He is now old enough to where he is eating other things to get him full. Just give him his bottle and walk away. He'll get it. Kids are smart and will get away with what they can
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My son did that for a while until we got tough about it. We left the cup where he could reach it and just basically said- when he gets thirsty enough, he will drink from it himself... and he did. It worked for us.
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 5:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Thanks - we've done that - he won't drink from it - he'll go til his next bottle if he needs to no matter what - I am just nervous about stopping the formula and him not taking a sippy cup -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• they make cups that use straws that don't leak maybe try getting him one of those other than that i don't have any good advice, it sounds like he is pretty stubborn, good luck
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 5:50 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Thanks Momof2 - stubborn would be putting it lightly! in every sense!! lol!! I will try that, see if he can do a straw one - that is one thing I haven't tried yet
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• He might be trying to indicate that he's ready to be weaned. He may just prefer solid food over anything else at the moment, and liquid in a sippy might be too reminiscient of bottles at the momen. Two of my kids did this to wean themselves from thier bottles. Try not giving him either one (sippy cup or bottle) just keep a sippy within reach of him so if he's thirsty he will have access. Good luck!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 5:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Hmmmm.. would I have to suppliment anything else for the missing nutrients from the formula or milk?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My girls were about 9 months old when they weaned themselves and I worried about the nutrients, too. The doctor said that give it a few days and if they still refused formula in a sippy to start an OTC multivitamin but not to worry about calories, since most babies will eat when they need.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 6:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2008