Do you buy for everyone or just the kids?

For about 10 years or so my family and I decided that we would only buy for the kid(s). That was when my sister was still little she was 7 when we decided. We got her gifts at Christmas but that was all. Well then once we started having kids it's still the same only the kids that get gifts. My sister who is 17 doesn't get anything anymore. Just my girls since they are little still.

My hubby does get a gift since his birthday is the day after Christmas.

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 2:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Holidays

• Among the adults in my family we all draw names for each other, so you only buy one other person a gift in the $40-50 range, we all buy for all the kids.

Answer by missanc at 2:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We give to all.

For a long time, the only kids in the family were mine, and I could see right away what was wrong with the idea of only them (and none of the other 19 people at dinner) getting presents would be.

We didn't start giving Christmas presents in our family when we had kids --dh and I have always exchanged gifts, for one thing.. and we haven't stopped now that they're adults. My parents have 4 grandchildren, my brother has no kids at all (and never will)...I suppose it might make sense in a huge family, but it doesn't in ours.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We also only purchase for the kids, but they're considered kids until they graduate from high school. I will also get a small gift for my Dad from my son.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We buy for the family we actually see, not the kids. Hubby is the youngest of his siblings (12 years between him and next one up), so he's closer in age to his nieces and nephews and most of them have kids of their own now. If we were to buy for the "kids" we would actually be buying for his great niecesand nephews and we are talking about 37 kids that we never see, that might make an appearance at my MIL's for a few minutes and might not. So, instead we buy for his mom, my mom and dad, my brother who still lives at home (he's mentally challenged so he always will live at home) and my grandma.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We buy for the kids on my husband's side, everyone in my immediate family on my side (my side is a lot smaller than his)
    Kilhara

Answer by Kilhara at 2:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We buy for the kids and our parents. Once the kids start having kids we buy for the kids only and so on.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We buy mostly for the kids. But my DD I just CAN NOT NOT buy her a gift no matter what her age, thus I have to buy her S/O a gift. My S/O & I decided last yr to buy something we really want or need around the house, and this yr it's not very much. Oh, yea, both the car and truck broke down or need repairs, that just might be our gifts this year, fa la la la la !
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Everyone. Which means 8 people, including the kids.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 3:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Everyone
    daisydays171

Answer by daisydays171 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We draw names for hubby's side of the family and buy for my niece and nephew. I buy for everyone on my side of the family since its much smaller.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010