It it safe to cook this?

I went grocery shopping on Sunday, Dec. 12th. I bought one of those Purdue chickens that you cook in the bag. I just cut open the bag and put it in the pan to cook. The date reads, "Sell before Dec. 10". I was in a hurry and forgot to check the date in the store. It has been in the fridge since I bought it on Sunday, the 12th. Is this still good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If it doesn't smell "off" it's fine to cook. Most things are good several days after the expiration date. Since they sold you expired chicken, you could also go back to the store and exchange it for a fresh one (if you still have your receipt).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think it should be fine. Things have to be sold by that date that is not when it would go bad....I would just make sure that it is cooked either today or tomorrow the latest since it did not go stright in the freezer.
    Anonymous

• I think 4 days would be the limit. Did it have a smell? If it did then get rid of it. You should be ok.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Actually, my son and I took a nutrition class, and the nutritionist said DON'T go by smell, that things don't always smell funny when they first go bad. Poultry can be kept in the fridge raw for 2-3 days. I think I would toss it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Call the store and ask the for someone in the meat department. They would know.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• "Sell" by and "enjoy" by are 2 different things...you'll be fine if you eat it.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I would toss it
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• being chicken.... I would probably toss it but am no expert ..
    Jkat

Answer by Jkat at 11:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2010