motorized vehicles for little kids (jeeps, powerwheels, etc)

both my parents and my in laws have tried at various times to get the "OK" to buy 1 for our kids. It's our position that it promotes laziness. Going outside to play (with the childhood obesity rates being what they are now) should not mean sitting on your butt and pushing a lever and having a 12volt battery move you around. ... you're getting fresh air, yes, but after coming in from sitting at the computer/all day at school/tv/video games, etc it's not burning any calories or expending any energy whatsoever. Anyone else see them as bad toys?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• no i dont see them as bad toys at all. my children run around constantly so it wont hurt them to sit on a little "car" of their own and have some fun on it. i had one for my oldest but she didnt really like it anyway.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Not bad, just dangerous. They create a situation where a child can very quickly get into very serious trouble and the 'supervising' adult has no ability to stop it. Because they're not really engaged in what the kid's doing, right? They're standing there (or not) thinking of something else, or gardening or talking on the phone, and not expecting anything to go really wrong, really quickly.

That's the problem. Things can go really wrong, really quickly --at a distance and at speeds that make it impossible for parents to do anything about.

I see them being used on 'dead' streets with 'no traffic' that always includes one more car a day than qualifies in my mind as 'no traffic'.

So, the kid is as far away as its allowed to be, and suddenly there is an unanticipated car going faster (and not expecting a child on a vehicle that close to the ground)... Surprise! Can the car stop? The parent can't do anything but wait and see...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No, my twins had one and they loved it for years. It was a great toy. My twins are now 17, she's 100 lbs, he's about 150 and is 6 feet.
    I think you're worrying too much. The best way to avoid obesity is not to make food into an issue. Don't make them finish their plate or eat anything they don't want and don't make dessert a reward.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My kids love them!!!!!
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My son has the little quad that doesn't go fast, and he only rides it in our fenced-in backyard. He usually rides it for a minute or two, and then gets up and plays with his trucks on the patio. Then he rides the quad again, then chases a rabbit through the fence....I think it depends on the kid--if your kids are active and this is just one part of their day, then it won't really hurt. If they already spend too much time sitting in front of the TV or video games, then a motorized, ride-on toy probably isn't what they need....
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• If you're concerned about them promoting laziness... limit their tv/video game/computer time (as you stated above) all day.
    WOW
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• well sedentary activites are pretty commonplace these days. so exercise and outside time should (imo) be running jumping hopping skipping bike riding and so on....... I see a lot of tubby kids in those cars/jeeps and it looks like practice for a motorized cart later on in life.

50 years ago there were so few obese kids 'cuz after school they played outside (on their feet, not a hummer) til the sun went down.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• While I understand your concern for your child's health (I am a health nut when it comes to my DD, and I am concerned about the childhood obesity rates as well), I hardly see a motorized car contributing to laziness. My DD is 18 months old and has a quad, and is getting a princess bug for Christmas. For the first few days we had the quad, she was on and off it all day. Now, she may get on it once for a few minutes. She would rather run around and play.
    My advice is, feed your child healthy food, limit their TV and computer time, let your inlaws get the quad, but dont let him play with it all day. Tell him that he can only ride it when you go ___ (to the park, beach whatever). And take him there once a week and let it ride it around for a while. The quad in itself will not create an obese child, poor diet and bad parenting does.
    And 50 years ago kids werent eating a lot of processed food or watching TV all day either.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The car is not going to "contribute" to laziness. Most children will use it for a bit, then run off and play with their friends. You see a lot of "tubby" kids riding in them because there's a lot of "tubby" kids these days, period. The cars aren't the cause of it...

As a parent, it's OUR job to make sure our kids get their exercise, so you lay down the rules. Let them have the motorized car, but limit their playtime with it to 30 mintes max. That way they can enjoy the gift the grandparents want to get them, you make them happy, the grandparents happy, and have that added benefit of knowing they're not going to be playing with it all the time.

Keep in mind, 50 years ago there weren't 200+ tv stations to watch, every home didn't HAVE a tv, there were no such thing as home computers, and there were no video games. Kids ate REAL food, not processed crap. Many reasons for Childhood Obesity.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:35 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I dont see anything wrong with one, as long as they are doing other activities, do they play baseball or basketball or any other kind of activity if so I thing its fine.
    Alta2008

Answer by Alta2008 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010