temper tantrums

My daughter is almost a year old now and just recently her tantrums have gotten ridiculous. Is there anything I can do to break her of them now? I know they will just get worse if I don't do something quick

shootingstar22

Asked by shootingstar22 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put her back in her crib until she settles down.
    SueAnd2

Answer by SueAnd2 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My almost 3 year old has started tantrums. I find that if I ignore her and walk away, they stop quicker. And they get less often bc they know that they don't do any good. She's trying to get a reaction out of you, so if you don't react and just walk away, she won't know what to think and will realize that it doesn't work. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• right now its mostly when I try and pick her up if shes doing something wrong. I have tried to just set her down and let her throw it, but they start 9 times outta ten when you try and pick her up from getting into something.
    shootingstar22

Comment by shootingstar22 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Well... you could see what is provoking her becoming totally overwhelmed and seek to avoid it.

Not 'ooh, if we don't do this exactly the right way, she'll flip out' but 'when she's overtired, too hungry, thirsty, in need of affection and attention she loses her ability to deal with the world and has a meltdown.'

Find the cause, so you can remove it. Too many rules? Too many expectations for a child this young? Not enough food? Expecting her to follow a moving target (because the ability to walk doesn't come with the ability to walk toward something that changes position --see lots of overwrought children in the mall with parents who clearly don't know that)... too many locations or events or people in one day (small brains can't handle our modern, busy worlds all day.)

A child who is fed, rested, watered and held close will have a fraction of the number of tantrums as a child who is in need of any of those things.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• As long as she is not where she can hurt herself, just walk away, that usually makes them end quicker. With no audience, the tantrums get her nothing. I had a child that would follow me when I walked away and when I stopped somewhere, they would throw themselves down on the floor and resume their tantrum! lol, it didn't last too long, it was too much work for them! You said they start alot of times when you try to pick her up when she's getting into something. Have you ever tried to just "re-direct" her when she is doing that. If you take something from her she wants, distract her with something else. I had to teach my nephew and his girlfriend how to re-direct their daughter because she was having tantrums and they are amazed at how much better she is!
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• my daughter started temper tantrums when she was 7months old. you gotta crack down as soon as it happens. you can't wait until they get older to punish them.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2010