i need some serious help!

my 6 month old hasnt pooped in two days he is constipated and fustrated. ive tried many ounces of water, tried giving him pear juice he wont drink it nor will he eat prunes. took him a warm bath and im currently rubbing his stomache what can i do. i also called and email his doctor but she wont return neither of my messages HELP me im goin nuts with this fuss baby!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all...calm down. Two days is nothing. It isn't uncommon for breastfed babies to go a full week with no poo and formula fed babies to go a few days. Second, pureed pears, peas, and peaches are high in fiber and will help loosen him up. Also, white grape juice is very good for getting things moving. (don't over do it...try 8 oz straight up (i.e. don't water it down) once in the morning and another 4 oz in the evening if he still hasn't pooped). A stomach massage might help too...start with your thumb on his belly button and massage in a circular motion outwards until you're making big circles on his tummy with your thumb. Also, some gas drops if he seems uncomfortable...often gas accompanies constipation. Good luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Also...avoid cheese, dairy, cooked carrots (constipators) and apple juice/apples (gas producing)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Tea spoon of Caro Syrup always did the trick for my child, nieces and nephews. They were always so happy when they got to go.
    CATsMom362

Answer by CATsMom362 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• 2 days isn't a long time concerning not pooping. I wouldn't worry until it's been like 5 days or a week. Give it some more time..
    walkintherain

Answer by walkintherain at 2:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I used grape juice. worked really well if you catch my drift.
    mybabiesmom1

Answer by mybabiesmom1 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Is your baby bf or ff? BF babies can go over a week and not poop. Even FF babies, I dont think 2 days is bad. Calm down it will be okay. Is her stomach hard? Does she seem to be in pain? Constipation has nothing to do with how OFTEN, it's all about the constiancy of the poop itself. hard pebbles are bad no matter how frequently they come. Soft stools are good even if it's only once a week.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Karo is a botulism risk, just like honey, so please don't use it. (Per the manufacturer.)

Angie really gave you good advice... follow it!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The nurse at my ped office said not to worry until its been longer than 3 days.
    frstimemom2010

Answer by frstimemom2010 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• A few things about the above posts. 8 ounces of juice is WAY too much. If 2-3 ounces doesn't work, it isn't going to. Karo syrup is not safe because of botulism spores, just like honey and real maple syrup. Try 2-3 ounces of pear, prune, apple or white grape juice every morning. You can also add some juice to his formula if you are having trouble getting him to drink it. Prune puree is effective as well, so is apricot if you can find it. 2 days really isn't that big of a deal, day 3 you should call your ped and get some suggestions, day 5 take him in to make sure he isn't blocked up. If he doesn't go by day 5 they might show you how to use a glycerin suppository, not the most pleasant method but it's very effective. My dd is always constipated (to the point that she is on Miralax every day). PM me if you want any more suggestions.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• i agree with rhianna1708. just dont add pear or apple juice to the formula. it will make them sick. i learned the hard way. but when you do give them the juice dont dilute it. they say to dilute it bc it will make them have diarea. but in your case it will just loosen it up enough to come out.
    2010mommy0914

Answer by 2010mommy0914 at 1:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2010