What is your all time favorite one book?

How long ago did you read it, and what genre is it?

Skepticchick

Asked by Skepticchick at 2:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Christy, by Catherine Marshall. It's the true story of her mother's life I believe around the turn of the century. Her mother came from a fairly comfortable background and as a young girl she went to teach school in the smoky mountains. It's an amazing story, in fact they later made it into a tv series. I loved the book when I read it in high school, and have read it several times since.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Twilight
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The art of war By Sun Tzu
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• So many to choose from--------------------------------- but I think my all time favorite is Gone With the Wind. Love the characters, the history, the description, the action, the plot, etc. Hated for it to end even though it was 1000+ pages.

"Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo. I read the abridged version in high school, and the unabridged last year. I grew up listening to the Broadway rendition as well, lol."  Just started reading it bandgeek521, so I may change my mind.  I know my dad loved it.

ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 11:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Oxford English Dictionary. I'd love to have the unabridged, but mine is the Concise. I've had my copy for more than 20 years, and I LOVE flipping through it and finding surprising things... like the pronunciation guide for 'viz.'

Viz is pronounced 'viz'... or 'namely.'

Seriously. I thought I'd never stop laughing about that one. Oh, or the other one: the derogatory term for a twit or idiot 'berk'... which is cockney rhyming slang, Berkshire Hunt.... which rhymes with...

Ha ha ha ha. I love it!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Why people believe weird things, by Michael Shermer
    Skepticchick

Comment by Skepticchick (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The Shack by William P. Young
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The Smoke Jumper by Nicholas Evans
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Jane Eyre. I read it when I was in the 8th gr. and I still have the book. Haven't read it in years but I've never forgotten it.
    booksandhooks

Answer by booksandhooks at 4:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 7:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2010