Can anyone recommend a good humidifier for a large room

or a house with an open floor plan (and high ceilings) in most areas?

I've been looking around to do some comparison, but I'm not sure if the ones I'm looking at will work well for a large open space, and I was wondering if anyone has found one they really like. We have one for each of the bedrooms, but the downstairs is so dry we need to find something soon so I can stop accidentally shocking (and getting shocked by) my little guy all day. :-(

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My grandmother always kept open containers of water around the room. She changed the water every day, so it wouldn't grow anything... but had one in each corner of the room the whole winter.

You could have lovely large vases filled with water here and there... my grandmother used margarine tubs and tucked them behind furniture...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Instead of investing a couple $100 in a floor unit, look into house humidifiers. They attach to your furnace and put humidity directly into your heated air. It is more effecient and only costs around $170 if you do the install yourself which is really easy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Thanks for the tip. I've heard of trying something like that, but I wasn't sure how well it worked. Today I've been boiling some water on the stove top in a tea kettle, and that has helped some. I just have to make sure to keep the gate kitchen gate closed so my son doesn't wander in there. I don't want to do that all day though, but it was really dry this morning when it was still in the single digits outside.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We have an Aprilaire
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Thanks! That might be something worth considering since it would cover the whole house. There was a criticism about the amount of water some of them use, but it looks like most have good reviews overall. How much does it increase your water bill when it's in use? Do you notice a significant increase or is it just a little bit more than summer time?
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2010