Best way to ship food across the ocean?

Wanting to send my friends some of my baked goods for Christmas.

How do I ship them so they don't melt, particularly the fudge? I know priority shipping is one, but do they make special cool packs for shipping food?

Thanks

Razelda

Asked by Razelda at 2:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Oh, it's coming from Hawaii to New Mexico. Thanks again.
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes,they have those bags. You may have to overnight the package though.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I've had food shipped to me before. It didn't melt. But I am not sure if it was a certain kind of chocolate or whatever. It was shipped priority and I just had to watch for it at my door. Not sure how they managed to get it shipped okay here.
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• To tell you the truth they will be stale no matter what. Try using those vacuum bags they have for food. Then ship them priority and let the post office not there are perishables in it. My SIL send bake goods all the time from OR to UT and they are always rock hard by the time we get them
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• they do have bags for boxes, priority mail and get a zipploc hand help vacuum sealer w/ vacuum sealed bags i sent my husband in afghanistan pumpkin bread..took two weeks for him to get it adn it was still good!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• And I don't think you can overnight packages to Hawaii. Not sure. I know a lot of shippers don't offer it. 2 day, yes... But I've never seen overnight as an option =/
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• @ Mommy - That's really weird. I've had a lot of stuff sent and the food was delicious and moist. No offense, but maybe it's her recipes or packing methods?
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• This time of year, stuff won't melt as quickly, it's not as hot out, so I wouldn't worry about a cold pack. If you have or can borrow a food saver, use that (or any vacuum sealing system). Send it the fastest you can - if you can 2-day it, do it that way.
    Anonymous

• Well I can look into it. Shipping here is extremely expensive. For one box, my MIL spent 40 bucks shipping it to us in a fairly small box.

The last shipment I received was shipped in a regular ziploc gallon bag inside a priority flat rate box from the USPS and there wasn't a cold pack in it. It was in the mail from Dec 2nd to Dec 7th.

Now it has me concerned, but I guess I'm just not understanding why some people are having problems with dry food. None of the items I've been sent have ever been in a vacuum bag, just regular ziploc has done fine.

Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2010