Have you heard of "Elf on a Shelf?" A tool of manipulation or genius idea?

I heard it on the radio: It is an elf that you put in the kids bedrooms and you tell the children that the elf is watching them and he will report back to Santa if they are nice or naughty. The parent moves the elf around the house secretly while the children sleep so that the kids are under the impression that the elf is alive.

Agree or Disagree?

I think it is creative but a little creepy at the same time.

2tinyhineys

Asked by 2tinyhineys at 3:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• its totally harmless..just as harmless as any other make-believe or imaginary character the kids play with all day long! my ds's teacher has one in her classroom, and the kids get a kick out of being the first one to spy it when they come into the class each day. she moves it around during the day, when they are in another room/cafeteria/playyard..they love it!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think it's a terrible idea.

I want my child to do the right thing because he should, not because he's being watched.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My son is four. Our elf is named Elfie. He is an elf who creates mischief. Unrolls tiolet paper, climbs on shelves, eats snacks, plays with toys....he is full of fun and crazy activities. Elfie is only visiting during the holiday season and then goes back after January first. He reports to Santa what a good family he visited. I love finding our elf behind my steering wheel of the car with fast food wrappers. He took my car one night for a late night snack. My four year old has a blast.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It's creepy and manipulative. But then I also dont promote the whole "Santa only brings gifts to good kids" either. Making my child behave is my responsibility, I certainly dont need fictional characters to help me.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• frogdawg, that's cute!
    I personally don't do the santa thing, so I wouldn't do the elf thing either, but if you're doing it to have fun and create some mystery and magic, I think it's cute. If you're doing it to make your kid paranoid about his behavior because he's being watched, I don't like the idea at all.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I never heard of this before this year. I think it's great. Maybe next year I'll get one.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I love it
    stephanie0920

Answer by stephanie0920 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think it's cute. I'm going to do it next year. My dd would get a kick out of thinking the elf is alive.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think the kids should know that Mr Elf is not a real Elf....Its a cool tool though, and if he starts leaving the toilet seat up he has to go!!!
    StressedOut107

Answer by StressedOut107 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I don't know that I would use it. The idea even creeps me out, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010