Getting tubes tied

i just found out i'm pregnant with what will be my last child, i'm kind of freaked out about getting my tubes tied for various reasons, so i would like to hear from women that have actually had it done. what are some of the side effects? how long were you down? do you regret it? any tips or advice would be great.

kyuteangl88

Asked by kyuteangl88 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Health

• I had mine tied after my last...I had a c-section so the tubal paled in comparison. =)
    I was up moving around (slowly) the next day...they of course had me medicated though.
    I think it's just tender and a little sore afterwards (if you have one w/out the C).

I don't regret it ONLY because I'm almost 37, the girls dad and I split when I was pregnant w/my last. Financially I can't afford another one. I have 2.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'm going to stalk your question, I'm in the same boat you are, wanting to get it done but wishy washy about having it done.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:42 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• For me I had the ESSURE and I had no problems until now. My period has been heavy for the past 3 months now. I've only had my tubes tied for a year now.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Side effect: you can relax and never have to ever worry again about getting pregnant, getting fat pregnant, going through the pain of childbirth or have to worry about being responsible for the outcome of yet ANOTHER human being that may or may not appreciate what you've been through for them. How long were you down? 24hrs Do I regret it? Not for a single second. Advice: Do it immediately after childbirth.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 3:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Google "PTLS" that should outline most of the symptoms that I have experienced since having my tubes tied.
    I was down for about 4 weeks, since I had older children to take care of, it took longer for me to completely heal from the procedure. It is easy to injure yourself if you do too much too soon.
    Do I regret it? Every day.

I would love to have another baby, and I know that at that time in my life it WAS the right decision (for many reasons), but those reasons have changed. The pain that I experience now when I have my period is also excruciating, and I am pretty much bedridden for the first 36 hours of it every month.

If you are in a stable relationship, he should have a vasectomy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I had mine done almost 4 years ago and don't regret it. I had mine done the day after vaginally birthing my youngest, so I wasn't down at all since I was recovering from childbirth! I haven't had any side effects or affter effects or anything like that - just shorter periods, which I consider a good thing. Just remember, unlike ShouldHave said, a tubal is not 100% - it has a very slight failure risk just like every other bc method. And unlike mamaofficer said, essure & a tubal are NOT the same thing - essure is sticking a metal coil in your fallopian tube - not as safe as having the tube cut!
    Anonymous

• I had mine done after my last, she was an emergency C-section. Supposedly they were tied and burned but I had an ovairian ectopic pg 18 moths later that almost killed me. Nothing is fool proof
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I had mine done 17 years ago. No regrets. It's nice not to have to worry about getting pregnant ever again.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• If your second guessing then dont get it done just get an iud or something else for birth control you dont want to regret something permanent. my doctor wanted me to get it done but i didnt and i am happy that i didnt either.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 5:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I had Essure done and LOVE it. No real side effects except my periods are back to what they were pre-kids. I had it done on a Friday. I was useless Friday. I used pain meds for the weekend in order to function well but then was back to normal.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2010