Will it pass as a stand alone?

the House this week will take up a bill that would overturn the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays, Democratic leader Steny Hoyer said Tuesday.

The move would put pressure on the Senate to delay its holiday adjournment plans and take up a standalone repeal bill sponsored last week by Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine and Connecticut's independent senator, Joseph Lieberman. That bill's fate has been in doubt because of other pressing issues facing the Senate with only days to go before it planned to conclude its lame-duck session.

Repeal advocates see this week as their last best shot at overturning "don't ask, don't tell," which bars gay troops from acknowledging their sexual orientation. Next year, Republicans take back control of the House and additional Senate seats, severely undercutting the chances that any Democratic priority will advance come January.

"This discriminatory and harmful policy has weakened America's security by depriving us of the work of tens of thousands of gay and lesbian troops who have served their country honorably," Hoyer said in a statement. "And it has severely compromised our Armed Forces' core value of integrity."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Hope so, but hard to say.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I do not think so sadly, I have seen the debates over this issue and people were saying the troops would not like it to be over turned, that most of the men on the ground do not want to know who is gay and who isn't. I found that very sad, it is disgusting to me that people have to hide who the are in the land of the FREE.
    Kelly2573

Answer by Kelly2573 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think it will pass AS LONG as they complete the necessary budget work prior to putting it on the floor. I'm fairly sure the Pubs will refuse to consider ANYTHING until the budget is done.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Its not passing and probably a good thing, cause your probably going to get some homophobe guy finding out that his bunk mate is gay and the he murders him. people act like that stuff doesnt happen any more but it does. I know soldiers that have killed their spouses cause they cheated while they were deployed, i have known soldiers that have killed friends because there leave didnt get approved. so if dont ask dont tell stays in place for the moment it just might save a life or two.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 5:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I think it will pass in the house, but I doubt it will in the Senate, unfortunately.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 6:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• IDK
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Is this just a repeal or is it also new legislation to address the prior still on the books military code which bans gays altogether?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Oops..didn't mean to post answer yet...my little hound is "helping" me out.

Sister legislation is imperative if the end result is meant to be open serving.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010