How much time should the army birther get?

FORT MEADE, Md. – An Army doctor who disobeyed orders to deploy to Afghanistan because he questions President Barack Obama's citizenship pleaded guilty Tuesday to one of two charges against him.

Lt. Col. Terrence Lakin of Greeley, Colo., pleaded guilty in a military court to a charge that included not meeting with a superior when ordered to do so and not reporting to duty at Fort Campbell.

Lakin faces up to 18 months in prison and dismissal from the Army. He pleaded not guilty to a second charge of missing a flight he was required to be on, and the court-martial proceeding continued on that count.

In videos posted on YouTube, Lakin had aligned himself with so-called "birthers" who question whether Obama is a natural-born citizen as the U.S. Constitution requires for presidents. The veteran of 18 years in the Army disobeyed orders to report earlier this year to Fort Campbell in Kentucky to prepare for deployment, saying he believed the orders were illegal.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Oh, wow. I thought this had something to do with having babies.

Huh, IDK. My hubby went when he was told to go. And he's going to go again, even though we are going to really REALLY not want him to go. Ya know? We like the extra deployment money. We like the extra stuff we get when he's gone. But we'd rather have him home. And for someone to not deploy for this particular reason, it seems he's grasping at straws. I mean, I don't care for the current pres, myself. But, my hubby certainly isn't about to put his ass on the line over a birth certificate.

As for the time? Whatever time is given for failure to follow a direct order. Whatever UCMJ is normally given, I don't know what i handed down for this.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• He should be found guilty of both counts, and he should get whatever he is sentenced in the court martial. Missing movement isn't a joke. He disobeyed a order, and failed to report for movement. I would say a year or so in jail would be a fair sentencing.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Well, it says he's looking at dismissal from the Army, doesn't say how though. Honorable or dishonorable. And, I don't know if he'd be 'retired' or not. He might have just f*cked up his financial life. IDK. It depends on if they want to make a spectacle of him I guess. I certainly don't think not going because of the birth certificate is an arguable defense. Even with MY opinion.

Eh, I suppose he could write a book now? He is in the spotlight...
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• ummm ... NONE !

It recently came out that indeed NO ONE has ever verified Obama's eligibility, despite several weird contradictions in his childhood history.

The Lt. Col. is not refusing to serve. He is requesting that the Constitution be honored.

Since his oath is sworn to the U.S.Constitution, and NOT to the Army nor to any gov't official - not even to the President - then he is actually fulfilling his basic duty.

What if a person appears on a military base whom nobody knows, claiming to be everyone's superior officer. This stranger wins a popularity contest, but shows no documentation.

Are we saying that everyone ought to obey his commands without verifying the stranger's identity and credentials? Or would we rather consider it essential to check?

That's all this Lt. Col. is asking. And once he knows it's legal, he'll be glad to obey this stranger's orders.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• 18 months and a dishonorable discharge. Minimum.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I agree with crafting...
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• He needs to be dishonorably discharged. That is just games.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 4:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• "Since his oath is sworn to the U.S.Constitution, and NOT to the Army nor to any gov't official - not even to the President - then he is actually fulfilling his basic duty.":

******************************************
    This statement is not true actually. when we go through basic training we are required to take this oath:

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 4:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Hard to believe a 18 yr AD would pull this so close to retirement. Bizarre.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2010