How do you keep your children from watching these crazy TV commercials for condoms, Viagra, etc?

Nowadays there are tons of inappropriate commercials on TV. Say you're watching TV as a family and these things come on. What do you do? Even if you have an 11 year old, it's not so cool for them to see.

DanaSalisbury

Asked by DanaSalisbury at 10:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• It's ridiculous, isn't it??? We watch Nick Jr. or Disney. If we're watching TV as a family, we usually watch DVD's. I seriously think they should ONLY be allowed to show those commercials after like 9pm and only on certain channels.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• We usually only watch the Disney channel so we don't run into that problem. Sometimes on Nick they will play some commercials that aren't made for kids, but never Viagra or anything like that. Of course, DD is only 2 so she's not really into the TV shows we watch later in the day.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 10:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• In this day and age of technology its hard to had that stuff from your children, I know growing up to my parents those kind of issues were taboo. Which made me all the more curious. So I vowed that with my kids I would always be honest an dopen with them. I have 10, 12, and 14 and when they ask about those kind of issues I find an anwser that is approite to their age level and for the most part they are ok with the anwser.
    shoegal

Answer by shoegal at 10:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• We always have Noggin, Disney, or Nick on. So we don't get those commercials. Even on other channels, if you're watching a children's show they don't usually advertise such things. They try to have the commercials match the demographic of the show.

That said there are some shows that might be appropriate for older children to watch where those commercials come on. Like sitcoms and whatnot. However if you watch those commercials, most kids would be oblivious as to what they mean and would therefore ignore them. They're more interested in commercials with toys or games.

When they come on I don't usually do anything. My kids ignore them.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 10:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My oldest is 11, and we banned watching TV at night while they were going to sleep, but he is allowed to listen to the radio, which is worse with the ads, I think. Every commercial break has ads for erectile disfunction. Its crazy! He's grown out of the childrens music, and I have yet to find a decent, child friendly radio station. As for tv, they usually watch Disney channel by choice. When they do watch other channels, the commercials aren't so graphic. The ones on the radio are brutal!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I don't keep my son from see it. It's just a commerical. But then again I let him watch movies with me like Resident Evil 3.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I noticed the smaller kids don't think about it. Usually I mute the commercials on any channel. My 13 year old son tells me he hates those commercials. And I agree with him. Then we usually end up talking about how commercials work in general, i.e. marketing.
    got2bugs

Answer by got2bugs at 12:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I think that condom commercials spark conversation and encourages them to ask questions. If you don't talk to your child about it or let the television introduce them to contraceptive, then isn't there going to be a chance that they try sex unprotected adn you all become grandparents before you're ready? Some commercials are silly, but the point is to strap up. Now those herpes commercials makes STD's look too. cool.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 1:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• we rarely watch live programing so the DVR is a commercial buster. If not I mute the TV. There are two ads out right now that I am shocked even got on the air. One id for AMP..and energy drink that basically tells kids..don't be ashamed for getting wasted, waking up with someone you don't know and no memory of what you've done. It is incredibly irreposible IMO. The other I saw last night on WE channel it was for TAbutoys.com..a sex toy ad on TV at DINNERTIME. Yeah, okay this is a hot topic for me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• We watch reading rainbow. We turn the tv on at 3:00, and turn it off at 3:30. It's PBS though so no really bad commercials.
    Otherwise, we stick with DVDs.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2008